A revalation !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse.

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a box of tools ( well several boxes to be exact, but don't tell 'im indoors ! ) in which was an old Stanley no80 cabinet scraper. Now I've seen these before and never given them a second thought. I've not known any one who had said a dicky bird about them or even maybe used one. So I thought it was just a gimmick by Stanley to squeeze a few more quid out of unsuspecting woodworkers. So with little hope of anything good, I decided to give it a bit of TLC and see how it worked, before selling it on or putting it in the bin. So after a quick search on the net came across a video on how to fettle it and get a nice sharp edge / burr. I did it all and then found a bit of mahogany with the grain from hell!
Well my goodness, that darling of a tool put a surface on that bit of wood like a piece of silk!!! So its in my tool cabinet now all nicely polished. :) (hammer)

Attachments

• DSC03595.JPG
    DSC03595.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,051
That one's kind of a sleeper among the stanley planes. It's too common to get much interest from the collectors and not photogenic enough to pull in the gadget woodworkers- fixed angle, single casting and all... but it is an excellent tool.

Dangermouse.":1ay37xcm said:
I purchased a box of tools ( well several boxes to be exact, but don't tell 'im indoors ! ) in which was an old Stanley no80 cabinet scraper. Now I've seen these before and never given them a second thought. I've not known any one who had said a dicky bird about them or even maybe used one. So I thought it was just a gimmick by Stanley to squeeze a few more quid out of unsuspecting woodworkers. So with little hope of anything good, I decided to give it a bit of TLC and see how it worked, before selling it on or putting it in the bin. So after a quick search on the net came across a video on how to fettle it and get a nice sharp edge / burr. I did it all and then found a bit of mahogany with the grain from hell!
Well my goodness, that darling of a tool put a surface on that bit of wood like a piece of silk!!! So its in my tool cabinet now all nicely polished. :) (hammer)

The bloke in those videos seems, from what he says, to be doing quite rough work with his #80 scraper and shaping the edge with a file before turning the hook. If you want a really good finish from the scraper, then you need to hone the blade properly before turning the hook.

Here's a piece I wrote a long time ago about how I do it sharpening-a-scraping-plane-blade-t26526.html

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yes I thought that and honed it rather than filed it. But after honing the first angle the rest is done in no time at all. So to re-burr it is a doddle.

Dangermouse.":14qfmoje said:
I purchased a box of tools ( well several boxes to be exact, but don't tell 'im indoors ! ) in which was an old Stanley no80 cabinet scraper. Now I've seen these before and never given them a second thought. I've not known any one who had said a dicky bird about them or even maybe used one. So I thought it was just a gimmick by Stanley to squeeze a few more quid out of unsuspecting woodworkers.
Nope, no gimmick in those old scrapers. I had no idea until now that they were such a mystery tool because I've always considered them as common as muck. They've always been cheap, and work very efficiently. Having used several of these 80s over the years I've always wondered why people are so enthusiastic about offerings such as Lie-Nielsens's scraper planes, which are kind of expensive for a tool that does the same job, but does it no better. Slainte.

Thanks Dangermouse and Paul, had a look at the videos but I am more of a honing man than filing. I have never put a file on the flat side of my cabinet scrapers. I will refile to find fresh steel after ever 5th / 6th time of honing and squaring on the edge. I might just get my No 80 out this week and have a play with it.
Cheers Peter

Try turning that silly stupid screw with this. Make sure you've had a few pieces of raw steak first though.

Great tools, once set up right. The Original stanley instructions tend to go missing, and there are quite a number of things to get wrong.

I covered both 80 and 112 in my 6th DVD, also on page 106 of my second book.

The large scraper plane is ideal for large veneered surfaces, less likely to dig hollows, due to it's larger sole.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Latest posts

Back