A Question of band saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OllyK

Established Member
Reaction score
No doubt the question has been asked before but it doesn't seem to have been covered too recently.

I have a T/S and Thickness / Planer, both from Elektra Beckum and I have to say they both work very well.

I'm now considering a bandsaw and am pondering keeping it in the family so to speak, but EB now seem to be Metabo.

I'll mostly be using it for curved cutting and re-sawing boards before thicknessing. I'm guessing I need to handle 6" board for the re-sawing and the other stuff will be a bit more variable.

Any thoughts suggestion in the £200-£300 bracket?

I have a 352.

Go visit, check it will run by applying power.

Listen to the noise it makes. Wheels should be silent. Guides can be slightly noisy but all are.

Check guides for wear mainly on the rear blade support as these are often in need of replacement but are cheap. Check upper and lower blade guides.

Open up both doors to check the wheels. Look at tyres to see if there is any serious wear. If worn then drive price down a bit but they are relatively cheap and fairly easy to fit.

Check blade tension by screwing up the bl;ade tension. At highest setting it should provide a side to side movement of about 4 - 6 mm. Slack off tension after.

Buy it.

Very little goes wrong with a Startrite 352 that is not cheap to fix. I would buy this sightr unseen and expect to use it for 30 years before selling it.

I paid £425 for mint condition one some 3 years ago.

Alan

I have a golden oldie 352 - they are so basic and well made, they last for ever (touch wood!)

Rod :)

Hi,

I also have a Startrite 342 and nothing other than a direct hit from a small nuclear warhead will cause any problems, they are 'king well made.
The latest version costs £2000 so they are bargains.

Pete

Back