A polite enquiry of Festool DW & Mafell track saw owners...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
OK I"ll come clean: I've just bought a Makita!

To be fair, funds wouldn't stretch beyond a really good offer I found, so it was that or nothing. I can't say I'm disappointed though, so far.

But 'so far' isn't very far at all: The Makita hardware is all nice and good, but the manual is a bit poor. Specifically, it doesn't give a preferred procedure for making the first trim cut of the rubber, anti-splinter strip. And I've read that if you don't do it right you get a serrated edge, which is no good to anyone.

So here's the question: I wondered how the other manufacturers say you should do that critical first cut with a new rail. I've heard you get a cleaner result if you cut through wood beneath, which is fine, but do you start off the end and run off the far end too, or are you supposed to plunge at the extreme ends?

If someone could say what their brand recommends for best results, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,

E.

Thanks to everyone!

Interestingly in the Festool setup instructions, there's no mention of trimming the rubber whilst making an actual cut. They say let the blade overhang an edge. Perhaps I'm just beng pedantic...

It's noticeable how much better the US Festool manual is to the European one. There's a useful tip on aligning a saw to an existing (trimmed) rail on p12. They say to use a piece of paper at the back as a shim. to give a very slight toe-in to the cut. I don't know if you can do that with the Makita - for the time being I don't need to try!

With the exception of the riving knife (a woeful omission on the Makita) the two saws are superficially very similar.

Thanks once again for the links.

Hello,

I do the first cut on a new rail into material as it supports the rubber. Also plunge in then run off at the end, as the saw saw can a have small amount of movement as it engages the second runner into the track. I use a fine blade most of the time, but swapped for a course the udder day which cut more of the rubber away. Not a diaster as it can be replaced, not cheap though.

cheers

Will

www.self-design.co.uk

Its got an anti chip function ie, blade protudes 5mm below the track then you draw the saw backwards, this i have found is the best way to sort the first cut of the rubber.

Latest posts

Back