A newby Wadkin setup question from Australia.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sibbo

Reaction score
Hello from Australia, I hope you don't mind me just popping up and immediately asking a question... but my web searches have shown this is the best source of Wadkin expertise around.

I've recently bought an AGS 10 Wadkin table saw, it's seen a bit of work and is in need of some TLC . I seem to have solved most of the problems, mainly table alignment but I've got one problem I can't solve.

I've search your archives and found solutions to various Wadkin problems but not this particular one.

My problem is the rise and fall rack and worm, they don't engage... well they did but suddenly they don't anymore .I have NO idea why ! I'm sure something has dropped out of alignment and I'm really hoping someone can tell me what!

402201558.jpg

402201560.jpg

Any help will be very much appreciated .

You need to post 3 or 4 times to be able to post photos and do pms. Just bump this thread a few times and you should be able to attach photos no problem.

Welcome by the way!

Mike

It's not snapped , it's quite solid and rotated just fine but it appears the rack has lifted as there doesn't seem to be any possibility of the worm shifting.

hi sibbo and welcome,i have the same saw and if you search for the wadkin rise and fall problem post, there are some photos which look like you are missing the collar between the worm drive and table saw body. Are you able to push and pull the height adjustment wheel in and out if so you may have to replace this collar or shim the drive further into the trunnion teeth.I myself am quite new to this hobby and forum but there are a few people on this site who have rebuilt these saws and i believe will be only too willing to offer help and advice.I will try and forward you some photos if you are unable to find the posts above,please feel free to pm me any questions

regards dave

found this hth

Thanks Dave, there is a big difference there. My saw is 1964 manufacture if I remember correctly... possibly it didn't have that collar ? There doesn't seem room for it on the shaft and there is no movement in the shaft .

I found that thread , the one on rise and fall but I couldn't find an answer to my problem there.

It's late here, I'll come back in the morning.

It's hard to say if this diagram shows my set up Dave or the one in your picture. The collar isn't obvious in the diagram

402203422.jpg

From what I can make out the shaft No 44 has shifted out of its assembly 43 ...
Maybe broken roll pin 45 ?
Could check fixing 42 is still ok and not allowing 43 to move out of the machine...

Andy

402201560.jpg

It's pretty obvious looking at my machine that the worm is too far back, all the wear is on the front two acme threads and none further back on the body of the worm. If it was forward about 40mm / 1 1/2" it would mesh perfectly. The problem is that there is no collar there nor does it look as if there has ever been one .The winding shaft isn't long enough to take a collar . I could make up another shaft (!) but I can't work out out how to get the original one out ! :(

Hi sibbo ,on my way to work now, can you post a couple of photo's of the rise and fall handle, maybe people might see if anything is amiss.Will have a look tonight when home from work and try and send some pictures of my saw.

regards dave

Thanks Dave,
this thing is confusing me completely ! The shaft must be an older version but even that doesn't make sense to me.The worm just isn't engaging and there's no length available for the collar that would line things up. The makers label says 67, so I assume 1967.

Here are a few photos .

402217438.jpg

402217437.jpg

402217436.jpg

402217435.jpg

If i can't work it out I'll take it the 100 miles to the local Wadkin agent and pay the man REAL money to fix it!

I'll go and have a look at my machine after breakfast. But looking at the parts diagram and your photos it appears that the whole rod has slipped back into the housing holding the rise and fall spindle. The worm gear has a roll pin that holds it on the end of the shaft, and between the worm gear and the saw housing there should be the part 46 thrust race set that holds the whole of the worm gear inside the saw. On your machine there is no sign of the thrust race and the whole shaft has slipped back inside the housing. The thrust race appears to consist of three washers two outer flat ones that push against the saw housing and theworm gear and a central spring washer that puts the spindle under tension against the main saw housing and keeps the worm drive pressed inwards and under the rise and fall trunnion teeth. I'll report back later on what I find.

Misterfish

Thank you Misterfish. I tapped out the rolled pin that goes through the handle today but there was very little movement, also there seems no way to remove that shaft .The inner rolled pin shown in the diagram through the worm is in accessible.

I'll be very interested in your comments.

Wish I was there with you to help :wink:

Well from the other pics things on the shaft look like nothing has moved there.....

Perhaps the worm is where it should be and the bolts and roll pins 20,21,22,23, that hold the toothed quadrant are not doing what they should.....

When you look at the picture although there looks little room for it, the quadrant could be brought into play more which would make it line up with the casting it is mounted on.

On your first picture the fixing in the l/h hole looks suspect as its nice and shiny. Perhaps they stuck a nail in there as a quick bodge to make it work ?

Andy

The problem is Andy that everything is solid and well fixed but it doesn't mesh and the worm shaft doesn't appear long enough to take a collar to get the worm where it should be .... that's about 40mm out from the side in at the lowest point on the rack!

I've just bought this saw and it needed some serious attention to the table alignment. The blade was 5mm out of alignment with the fence over the width of the table and there was NO adjustment available with the existing bolt holes in the saw body. I had to file extra space to move the table around. I strongly suspect that the top was a replacement after the original was damaged .

After that, this misalignment is no particular surprise but a serious annoyance !

and yes mate, someone to help who has some idea would be much appreciated ! :D

Latest posts

Back