A new devinition of "Exc condition"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
That really is one genuine contraption.

(EDIT, shortened URL)

"It is in excellent condition both cosmetically and functionally." It would need some cosmetics to cover up the aesthetics, and what comes to functionality.... I expect that it is intended for creating small masses of packed shavings in that "throat". It probably is very functional doing that :D

Do you think you could catch mice with it?

Pekka

Pekka Huhta":x3oiz400 said:
Do you think you could catch mice with it?

Pekka

Ironically, it IS an interesting tool; clearly craftsman made, with a very high effective pitch.

BugBear

TrimTheKing":26nshpbc said:
Ummmmm, am I missing something? I can't see any pics, or is that the point?

Mark

Scroll down the Ebay page, there are lots of them. BB, the blade is at a very steep angle, I thought it was a scraper at first.

Struth, how can someone describe that as in excellent condition, what would be bad condition for this bloke?

Ouch! What an "interesting" piece...... :lol:
Love the painted back iron - why didn't I think of that? :wink:

Seriously, I doubt this plane ever worked. The blade is tensioned at the top but not at the (somewhat importantly!!) cutting edge. And there is no throat for the shavings to come through.
Back to the drawing board!
Philly :lol:

Well, shouldn't it be clear that it never worked :D The angle would make it almost a scraper, but there's no place for even the scraped shavings to go. The only place to tighten the iron is above the pivot point at the top of the plane so if you tighten the screw, you'll end up closing the mouth. I doubt that it ever could have been used to plane a single shaving.

It IS an interesting tool, sure. I just keep on imagining the human tragedy behind it, the fire and faith in your gifts as a planemaker and the bitter disappointment as the cherished piece of art won't cut a shaving.

It's so hideous that I almost could want to own it. I am tempted by the mild overenthusiasm about the condition of that mousetrap (The Improved Version™) :wink:

Pekka

It is in excellent condition.
First-rate rust, stonking mould, brilliant cracks, mouth like a whale with gingivitis and the patina of an Egyptian mummy. Worth $10 (+$43 postage) of anybody's hard-earned.

Excellent condition for firewood.

Well if he doesn't charge for the rust does that make it rust free? :oops:

Roy.

Philly":9od8cut7 said:
Pekka
I would be more than happy to build you a custom version :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Could you? I'm afraid that my budget might not be enough for the highest bid for that gem. Do you think you really would be up to making such an exeptional plane for me? Do you think you could be up to that standard? :D :D

Pekka

Oh boy! Rob Lee is going to be upset that the photos of his new prototype plane have been leaked! There's nothing more sinister than industrial espionage. Fortunes are won or lost by such actions. A pity, really. :cry:

Pekka Huhta":9yprt1mi said:
Philly":9yprt1mi said:
Pekka
I would be more than happy to build you a custom version :wink:
Cheers

Could you? I'm afraid that my budget might not be enough for the highest bid for that gem. Do you think you really would be up to making such an exeptional plane for me? Do you think you could be up to that standard? :D :D

Pekka

Pekka
Apologies - I seem to have lost my nerve, now. :lol:
Cheers

Disregarding the merits of it being a workable plane under todays standards, it was probably someone's pride and joy one time.
Who knows what circumstances the maker had to contend with.

Whiteant
Sorry - we've been having some light-hearted fun over this one. Your right -we've no idea of the circumstances of how or why this plane was made. But I'm still sure the plane never worked (at least for mare than a stroke or two).
Cheers

Still no bids.

The point was, I thought, that here we had an old lump of wood which a seller was describing as though it was a Holtey. Which is pretty typical for a certain kind of eBay seller.

It's the ugliest thing I have ever seen that passed as tool.

Lack of a mouth given the steep blade angle could just about be excused if it were a toothing plane for preparing a ground for veneering.

Philly":2u7dn3e9 said:
Whiteant
Sorry - we've been having some light-hearted fun over this one. Your right -we've no idea of the circumstances of how or why this plane was made. But I'm still sure the plane never worked (at least for mare than a stroke or two).
Cheers

I nearly had a stroke laughing at it. :lol:

Back