a new 20/21 degree block plane, your suggestions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few planes :wink: and the Lie Nielsen is one of my favourites, worked beautifully straight out of the box, holds an edge and is a joy to use

Dom

wayne":2oxi7hct said:
I have this one for sale at the moment.
-wayne

I'm doubtless showing my ignorance, but I don't recall seeing a wedged iron plane with a lever cap before.

Is this a new idea, or an old one I was unaware of?

BugBear

"I'm doubtless showing my ignorance, but I don't recall seeing a wedged iron plane with a lever cap before.

Is this a new idea, or an old one I was unaware of?

BugBear"

Nothing new under the sun... It's been done.

There is a brass button in the wedge that the screw contacts. I would rather not require that the ebony wedge be forced or struck with a mallet, so I have chosen to use this method instead. -Wayne

wayne, that plane is a work of art and a labour of love, its beautiful. be assured of three things

one, i want it

two, i cant afford it

three, im a working carpenter so i wouldnt take it any where near a site (job site)

alf, as you say price becomes an issue, the bridge city plane at $600 it would cost close to £700 imported and VAT added

it is a beautiful plane, its no where near as beautiful as wayne's but it does have one thing that the veritas and lie-nielson and wayne's dont have

the blade adjustment is fully protected by the cap iron, so you cant get accidental adjustment from one push stroke to the next

change of mind, IF wayne's plane was mine

id want to use it every single day, it needs the tiny dings / scratches and the patina gained gained by daily use to make it a real working tool

dirtydeeds":e5mt51mn said:
change of mind, IF wayne's plane was mine

id want to use it every single day, it needs the tiny dings / scratches and the patina gained gained by daily use to make it a real working tool

Amen, Brother. I take a similar attitude when I buy tools second hand.

They're not REALLY mine until I've restored them; it's the time that makes it yours, not the money.

At least that's how it feels to me.

BugBear

Back