A little bit of pallet upcyling!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAUL_TDI

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a pallet in my workshop for a while now. I'm using the 'legs' of 4x2 for others things but seeing as the Mrs wanted a bird table the slats were perfect to chop about to make the majority of the house.

There's a few other bits of wood in there too but all 2nd hand stuff knocking about in my workshop.

For my first proper build of anything wood work I'm really pleased and the Mrs loves it.

Just going to give the house a coat of yacht varnish to stand up to the weather better.

Opinions and criticism please!?

Lol the branches are perches so can hang extra feeders off the bottom.

My cats could scale the post to the top without using the perches if they wanted too. Neither of mine are big hunters though.

Thanks so far :)

you might want to go for danish / tung oil instead of varnish - I used some on a planter and even though I was sure I had good coverage of a few coats, somehow the water still managed to get into bits and has turned the wood underneath grey, oil would soak right in and give it lots of life.

Thanks for the tip, I've never used any kind of oil on wood before.

My dad had advised me to mix the first coat of varnish with some white spirit so it penetrates the wood better giving better protection.

looks good. and a bit of pallet upcycling is always good, you do get some nice woods on pallets occasionally, I have 2 lengths of cherry and a bit of oak come off one at the moment.
the cherry has been jointed and is making a box/chest along with some other bits of pallet wood.
the rest made a clock.

Back