A lesson learned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jings! Thats sounds nasty I hope it heals well.

It reminds me that my last attempt at turning about 40 years ago at school resulted in me all but severing the tip of my left thumb. I was turning a platter outboard and I failed to realise that the thing would be turning the "wrong" way so I attempted to start at 9 o;clock instead of three. I ended up with my thumb under the tool. It didnt hurt till much later.

Since we are telling horror stories :wink: as a paraplegic I have no feeling below the waist but being Mr Independent I got on the floor to lay a carpet and managed to sit on a stanley knife. I got six stiches in my bum for that and blood on the flippin carpet :roll: A least the nurses at casualty got a laugh!

Tin

At a party [in my youth] I 'got off' with a girl who had been injured in a car accident some years before. Now recovered, she remained cold [temperature] from the waist down. :shock:

Sorry to lower the tone. :oops:

Ouch. That must throb!

On horror stories... many years ago on a farm a worker I knew was using an angle grinder on the floor to cut some angle iron. You know, the old down on one knee stance. Apparently the grinder caught and pulled free of his grasp and shot off across the floor. Coming to the end of its cord it yanked and turned round. In a flash it passed across his kneeling calf and tore through to the bone. On reaching the end of its cord it again it made a second pass across his leg before he could move and before finally coming to a stop.

Lots of claret and lots of time off work.

Accidents seldom happen slowly but I do know of one that did.

A friend was on a big tractor, out for the day working a distant fiels with his lunch. Shortly after starting work he went to dimount the tractor before it had come to a final stop in the field. An attempt to save a couple of seconds and often done on farms!!!!

His foot slipped through the tractor steps which trapped him. The foot on the floor was grabbed by the rear wheel and ran up it spread eagling him on the ground but suspended by a mangles leg through the step. He was there for nine (9!!!) hours, and never walked properly again even after years of treatment to save his limbs.

Back