a few more first's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefella83

Established Member
Reaction score
a chunky heavy ash bowl stained with coffee before finishing with danish oil.
a mad moment i know but i will do it again with ash.
Photo-0029.jpg

a nice bit of burr oak just after its first stage of wet sanding with finishing oil.
my first attempt at wet sanding with the oil and just like i was told all those cracks in the burr are filling up.
Photo-0033.jpg

another first attempt on a waste bit of robinia with walnut in it.
i don't know if there is a name for this sort of turning but i drilled holes in the robinia and glued in walnut plugs.
its not getting finished its just the result of an idea while on a long car journey.
Photo-0034.jpg

a walnut and sycamore double sided mirror.
not yet got a finish on it as the wife will not let me touch it now that she has seen it.
she thinks im going to paint it with tea or coffee .
by the way for those of us that are on a tight budget with our wood turning the mirrors came out of horrible pink plastic mirror purchased from the local pound shop ( i bet you can't guess how much the mirror cost ?)
Photo-0035.jpg

You should go on more long car journeys if they are the sort of ideas you have :wink:
The walnut and robinia piece is a great idea - the two timbers work very well together.

P.S. - was it a pound ? :lol:

Andrew

cheers people.
sanding with finishing oil is very fast indeed i started with 600 grit wet and dry on the oak bowl and after a close look i can see no tool or sanding marks at all and the brown gunge you get fills all those tiny cracks and checks and dries rock solid. fantastic

Back