A couple of new toys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to get myself a couple of new planes to expand my ever growing arsenal of tools. Its the first time I've bought vintage planes from a dedicated vintage tool merchant as opposed to eBay as well.

First up a Stanley no. 71 Router plane with three cutters. The plane seems to be in good knick with a little wear to the handles and a little loss of finish on the sole. The cutters on the other aren't in quite poor shape and look like an absolute b****r to sharpen. I've order a replacement 1/4" veritas blade too, though it appears to have been lost in transit :evil:

347iblh.jpg

11qqpo7.jpg

1ijtoi.jpg

Its amazing, I was debating whether I would be wasting my money on this plane, but within 5 minutes I needed it to clean up a slot I was cutting :)

The second plane is a Stanley no. 78 Rebate plane with depth stop and fence. This cutter seems in much better shape and took shavings straight out of the box, definitely needs sharpening though

2cehks4.jpg

34xhy4n.jpg

Really pleased with the purchases and can see both planes getting alot of use. Though I feel drawn to getting some more now ....................... next up i'm looking for a nice Stanley no. 3 :)

Cheers
John

In the back of my mind you will need to do something to allow the Veritas blade to work with the Stanley plane.

Something needs to be turned around I think, but cannot remember what.

If I am right someone will be along to fill in the blanks, if wrong I'm sure someone will tell us.

Mick

Two very useful tools John.

All the practise you get with sharpening the router irons will stand you in good stead for spoke shaves and other awkward b****rs. :)

The router I bought from the bootsale only had one iron to begin with so I will be interested to hear of the options for replacement.

I agree those are two reliable and useful purchases. The router irons aren't really very hard to sharpen - you may need to take your oilstone out of its box so you can get up close to the corner though. Most of the time you can leave the angled side alone and just give it a little rub on the flat side, which is easy.

MickCheese":28kjxlhc said:
In the back of my mind you will need to do something to allow the Veritas blade to work with the Stanley plane.

Something needs to be turned around I think, but cannot remember what.

If I am right someone will be along to fill in the blanks, if wrong I'm sure someone will tell us.

Mick

I think you need to turn the adjuster wheel over sure the info is on Alfs blog.

I'll let you know how the blade fits if it ever arrives!!! And take some photos.

Is alfe's blog the Cornish workshop?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Richard T":zuitfuc5 said:
Two very useful tools John.

All the practise you get with sharpening the router irons will stand you in good stead for spoke shaves and other awkward b****rs. :)

The router I bought from the bootsale only had one iron to begin with so I will be interested to hear of the options for replacement.

I did see somewhere someone grinding allen keys to a seviceable profile. They are reasonably hard steel.
Phil.

I've seen that too, I think it was done by someone who made their own wooden router plane, can't remember where I saw it though

speeder1987":1w7u3lzx said:
I've seen that too, I think it was done by someone who made their own wooden router plane, can't remember where I saw it though

I've got an article somewhere by somebody who used allen keys to make tools for turning "captive rings", so they should certainly be ok for router plane blades.

there is something on Derek Cohens website. both a review of the veritas blades being used in a stanley- you have to swap something around IIRC, and also making blades from an allen key.

Google "In the woodshop Derek Cohen", and have a look through the various articles. you will soon find that you have spent several hours on the site!

I just thought I would follow this up, after a disastrous time trying to get a veritas blade delivered. I finally received one a couple of weeks ago.

Fitting the blade was indeed dead easy, I just had to remove stop (don't know its exact name) above where the blade is clamped.

uploadfromtaptalk1362823039629.jpg

Cheers
John

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362823039629.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362823039629.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,963

Latest posts

Back