A bit of advice needed,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.b

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been turning for quite a while now, using my axminster m900 or 9650 I think,which I have been mostly pleased with its been reliable and I like the variable speed, but have never been happy with the way the tool rests and the way the tailstock lock down [or rather they dont] to the bed, but I am now thinking of treating myself to a new lathe for xmas , but have no idea whats good or bad, I am thinking of spending up to a thousand pounds and have come up with, either a FOX F46-718 42" SUPALATHE
, or a Record Nova 16244-44 cast iron professional lathe , and would be greatfull for any thoughts you have on these two lathes or if there is any others that are better and in my price range, I would like to be able to turn fairly large bowls so a turnable headstock is a must and variable speed would be usefull, but not a must.

thanks Steve

Hi, I have the F46-718 Fox 42" Professional Woodturning Lathe
and find it a really good lathe, it is very steady, easy to use, you can position the head anywhere along the length of the bed for ease of use/comfort/position of working, the variable speed is excellent, so is the reverse for sanding, being a heavy lathe it has no vibration, I have taken some heavy cuts and it does not falter, So far I have no complaints about it at all, and like yourself I studied the Nova, but opted for the Fox, I also like the cam lock system they have for the toolrest banjo and the tail stock, hope this helps and if you wish to PM me please feel free to do so,

thanks for the info, I like both lathes so it will take a while for me to make my mind up, with regards to the tool rest with the axminster, I can never seem to get them to stay tight, and when turning between spindles the tailstock always seems to run loose and has done for the last seven or more years, but yesterday when it happened it resulted in throwing a rather large piece of beech out of the lathe snapping of the tool rest and sending me to hospital for the afternoon with a broken cheek bone, two large cuts and the best black eye I have ever seen,

its like riding a bike, when you fall off you have just got to get back on.

Steve

Steve sorry to hear about your accident,hope all heals up quickly.
I had the trouble of the tailstock not locking on my Record DML24 and i had to pack the locking handle out with washers.
Paul.J.

I am off to the show at Kempton park next weekend where I will hopefully see the record nova lathes working, but I am still trying to track down somewhere around sussex / Hampshire to go and have a look at the fox super lathe, does anyone know of such a place.

thanks steve [cuts and bruises nearly gone and cheek bone on the mend, and have now hollowed out the 12" vase that caused my facial damage]

Back