A bit more time in the shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clockie

Established Member
Reaction score
But it's certainly cold now. Here are some pieces recently made. They were all cut with Pegus MG No.3 blades except for the box which was cut with Olsen PST No. 9. The GF clock is made with walnut and sycamore, The boxes with elm.

Attachments

• gf08.jpg
    gf08.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,447
  • oct-4.jpg
    oct-4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,447
  • oct-5.jpg
    oct-5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,447
  • rb-3.jpg
    rb-3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,447
Something gone wrong again, missing one - ops.

Attachments

• gf07.jpg
    gf07.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,444
I have also made the octagonal Music Box,I was only able to get 6mm Birch Plywood.You say that Elm was used to make yours.Would it be asking too much to say where wood of 6mm can be obtained?.

Bryan Bennett

Bryan,
I prepare my own timber. I buy in seasoned rough saw timber. The elm came from Whitney Saw Mill, just out side Hay-on-Wye.
You will be very fortunate, indeed, to find a commercial saw mill that will cut and prepare 6.5mm timber. There are a number of reasons why :- Cost, time, and complete customer dissatisfaction. Very thin timber is unstable, some more than others. Beech, I think is the worse, African hard woods seam less affected. I use elm because it is the most stable of British hardwoods.
Also a lot of commercial mills use four sided planers, and thin wood will not be able to stand the machining. Another factor is the ratio of waste to finished material. For thin timber it is disproportionately large. There is a lot of shavings and saw dust going up the chute.
Not really of much help.

Clockie thank you for your reply,I am very envious of you being able to machine wood to you requirements.I will have to carry on with the birch plywood.I made the octagonal musical box for my wife Enid 70 th Birthday,she was not keen on the knob on the lid, I replaced with a leaf.Great to have found this website.

Bryan

Back