8x6 Shed advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarkDennehy":1jl9ej3f said:
And I'd be surprised if I needed a lot of ventilation - that shed's pretty cheap, one like it was added to every house on the estate when it was built, and the contractor spared a lot of expense. Its roof is waterproof at least, but the rest...

I thought that as well, but once I'd cladded my shed I was surprised at how much condensation there is in there on a hot day. I didn't do anything fancy, just put a few holes in and put a plastic grill over them. You may get away with it, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Cheers Matt, I'll go hunting on ebay for white ones so.

I'll keep an eye on it Morfa, I wanted to get an oil-filled radiator for it for the winter as well in case it gets horribly cold, so I'll need to keep a closer eye on condensation then. But there's enough room at the rear apex of the roof there up near where the T8s will go to take a fostner bit to the outside wall and stick a vent cover over the resulting holes.

The sound don't be as bad when it's not empty. Now the echo are just reverberating around the space with nothing to absorb them. Acoustic panels will do but and old trick for those on a budget is egg cartons and rugs.

I've never been convinced that egg cartons do anything. The similar-shaped panels used in recording studios are not soundproofing; they are there to prevent the sound reflections from affecting the acoustics of the room. Rugs on the other hand will work as they absorb sound waves.

Ear defenders... for hand tool work? I mean, eye protection always, but with earmuffs on, how would I hear that lovely whispering noise as I planed a perfectly good piece of timber out of square?
It's mainly things like hitting a holdfast with a metal hammer and feeling like I'd stabbed myself in an eardrum that I'm trying to mitigate.

Ah, no. I have some power tools (mitre saw, circular saw, cordless drill, a bench grinder and a router that's going into a table soon), but I prefer the hand tools (and I know, it's a luxury - but I do this as a hobby so if something takes longer it doesn't matter). I wouldn't mind a bandsaw, but there just isn't room to have one so that's going to have to wait for the next shed.

2016-09-05-19.12.57a.jpg

Let there be light!

2016-09-05-20.24.58a.jpg

(about 800 lumens at the location of the bench to be exact)
Gotta love LEDs. Plugs straight into the mains, pulls all of 44 watts.

BTW, for any electricians looking in horror at that wiring, it's just temporary, I only wanted to see if the thing worked :D There's a small consumer unit with RCD and two MCBs to fit in there, which will all go back to an IP66 socket off the kitchen radial via a 2.5mm CSA cable (unarmoured, but run via a shielded, elevated route). That'll feed the light and a few sockets which will be for an oil-filled radiator, a small radio, another task light and (very) occasionally a router. No table saws, no bandsaws, nothing heavy-duty like that.

Whaddya mean, "overkill"?

P-R37-2.jpg

MattRoberts":2ve5lpz1 said:
You can get them from eBay or Amazon. The roof would be a good place, as it would leave wall space free. You can mount them with a can of spray adhesive - just make sure the surface is clean and dry
Er. Tried that today with 3M spray mount and no dice. Test tile kept falling off. Harumph. Have to get something stronger...

Actually, scratch that, apparently I misread the instructions and I'm meant to spray a pineapple-ton of the stuff on the foam and the ceiling first. Tried that there and it seemed to work (we'll see for sure in the morning and I'll probably have to go buy two more cans of the stuff).

MarkDennehy":39aa2so6 said:
Actually, scratch that, apparently I misread the instructions and I'm meant to spray a pineapple-ton of the stuff on the foam and the ceiling first. Tried that there and it seemed to work (we'll see for sure in the morning and I'll probably have to go buy two more cans of the stuff).
Yep, it's like contact cement

MattRoberts":1ih7cq6u said:
MarkDennehy":1ih7cq6u said:
What, apply, let dry for 15 minutes and then stick? Eeek...

MarkDennehy":2mhmyo88 said:
MattRoberts":2mhmyo88 said:
MarkDennehy":2mhmyo88 said:
What, apply, let dry for 15 minutes and then stick? Eeek...
Not quite - should only need 15 seconds or so, but depends on the glue. RTFM! ;)

Latest posts

Back