8mm glass in old sash!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Fixing up some rot in one corner of a sash window and it’s got 8mm glass! Thought it was heavy to carry but that’s odd, no?

IMG_4268.jpeg

Not that uncommon, I have found it quite regularly. I think its sometimes for security, is it toughened or laminated? Maybe it's just what was laying around when it broke.

Ollie

Judging by the edge shown in the photo , is this not more likely to be something like float glass, rather than laminated or toughened?. I think if it were toughened it would have to have been specially ordered and then needn't have been any more than 6mm. Laminated, though available in 8mm ( 2x4mm) would show evidence of its sandwich construction.

What puzzles me more is that the rebate ( about 23mm) is easily big enough to accommodate the glass. And, if it is a sliding sash it would have added greatly to the size of the weights needed to lift it.

Yup, just plain old float glass, one of the other panes in the window has cracked and needs replaced, so I know it’s float glass.

The rebate is 21mm deep, so I think the glass thickness is original.

The windows in the house are all somewhat odd, many of the lower sashes do not have pullys, which is apparently an Aberdeen thing. Most of the windows have broken cords, perhaps due to the weights being so heavy? Ill record this one before putting back, so I’ll see how long the weights are then.

Fitz

Back