6" CBN wheel? or can and 8" fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...grinder-with-sander?da=1&TC=SRC-bench grinder
with a 180 grit wheel that i use for sharpening my tools.

I am not very good at getting the tools sharp even with the jig i got (some no brand homemade off ebay) it does the job ok but i am not getting much consistency.

I recently saw the tru-grind system in action and this looks very good and is what i will be buying soon but i am also aware that the CBN wheels are regarded as the better if not best.

So my question is do they make 6" CBN wheels that would fit or do you think i could use an 8" and just raise the grinder up a fit for clearance. I'm pretty sure the housing will all come off.

Any recommendations on where i can source a CBN wheel?

Thanks

I was looking at cbn wheels earlier. Peter child will bore them to your shaft requirements. May be worth looking at.

buzzby":3sno8b3n said:
Hi everyone. I have one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...grinder-with-sander?da=1&TC=SRC-bench grinder
with a 180 grit wheel that i use for sharpening my tools.

I am not very good at getting the tools sharp even with the jig i got (some no brand homemade off ebay) it does the job ok but i am not getting much consistency.

I recently saw the tru-grind system in action and this looks very good and is what i will be buying soon but i am also aware that the CBN wheels are regarded as the better if not best.

So my question is do they make 6" CBN wheels that would fit or do you think i could use an 8" and just raise the grinder up a fit for clearance. I'm pretty sure the housing will all come off.

Any recommendations on where i can source a CBN wheel?

Thanks

You will have to cut most of the guarding away, to get the wheel to fit the centre boss.
Or run without any proper guarding in place
With the increase in wheel size, you may well find that you're new wheel is traveling at the wrong RPM, and be quite dangerous, as well as burning you're steel.
Best bet really is upgrade the cutting speed of the existing wheel size by changing the grit/abrasive size, or replace the grinder with an upgrade.
HTH Regards Rodders

what is the RPM limit for the cbn wheels or are they all different? I hadn't considered this but given the cheapness of the grinder i wouldn't have thought it was a high rpm machine.

blackrodd":22yujqo8 said:
With the increase in wheel size, you may well find that you're new wheel is traveling at the wrong RPM, and be quite dangerous, as well as burning you're steel.

90% of grinders use induction motors which run at 3000rpm at UK mains frequency of 50Hz. This should not present a problem.

Bill

Peter child do a 6" wheel. Trying to put a 8" wheel on a 6" grinder sounds a bad idea.

I have a 6" cbn wheel on my record grinder i got it from tool post i use it wit the tru grind and to say i,m happy is a understatment I love it
if you get a cbn i would buy a grinder you like first they are not cheap i think mine was about £130 with the bush

Although there is no danger of the CBN wheel exploding like a conventional wheel could, I would still not take the guards off because they also protect against inadvertent contact with the abrasive wheel, which can run for a considerable time after the grinder is switched off. Having said that, there are plenty of suppliers of 6" wheels so there should be no problem getting one to fit your grinder.

However, if you are not getting your tools sharp with your existing wheel, perhaps you need to address what the problem is - replacing the wheel may not be the solution.

I recently switched to a CBN wheel on one side of my grinder and it doesn't make the tools any sharper than the Alox wheel it replaced. Its main advantage is that it stays flat and doesn't need dressing.

Back