4mm ply to bend radius 400mm and 150mm height.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal123

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to bend 4mm plywood, to a tight radius of 400mm and 1500mm height.
Do you think this is going to be possible, I am building a replica of the dimensions as we speak to see if it is infact possible.
I'm soaking the plywood also to see if that gives me a better result but a bit worried as I need to glue 4-5 of them together when they are done :roll: .
How much would it cost me to get them vacuum done and how long would that take should my solution not be possible? I need about 30 of them done and they are all different. So I suppose it will be a fortune :cry: .
PlyBend
Imagine the outside radius (as that's the only smooth one I can draw :oops: ) but on the inside. Radius is 400mm and height 1500mm :eek: .

You would probably be better off doing it with a few layers of skinply as it will bend easier and hold its shape once the glue has set.

If each is being bent over an individual former you will be looking at a lot of money and drying times will tie up a vac press for several days.

If it is just formwork as your sketch title suggests why not use flexi ply of MDF?

Jason

Thanks Jason, what is skinply :oops: and what thickness etc. Sorry I have not explained it very well. For the radius I will use bendy ply. But I also need to cut rips that are vertically 100mm, and they bend a horizontal radius of 400mm, and 1500mm in height.
I have updated photo to try to show what I mean, sorry for being unclear.
1BDqvcIc0Cn71BcxPRLwOg

Any ideas where I can get skin ply and need some really strong glue that will not be put off by water as I'm hoping it will work by soaking in water so the ply formers will be damp.
I'm glueing them together so they are strong, so I can form the shape by gluing lots of them together so they bend then final product is a solid bit of timber/ lots of bits of ply about 50mm wide.
Thanks
Going to need about 5 litres of glue.

Not quite sure of your description buy do you mean you want 100mm wide strips of wood thet follow a 800mm radius while rising 1500mm at the same time, in other words a helix? Something like the string on this spiral stair

http://www.mcelimited.co.uk/architectural.html

CNC paul would no doubt be able to knock out suitable formers, have a word with him.

You could try Richard Russell in Croydon for the skinply, they are my nearest source, they stock 1.5mm and can get others. Edens keep the same but James Lathams have abigger range. Its also refered top as "aircraft ply" Its just a thinner ply so bends easily

http://www.richardrussell.co.uk/

As for adhesive then an Epoxy such as West Systems would do nicely, Axminsters do a small range bbut fibreglass & boat building suppliers usually have more

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/t ... epoxy.aspx

Jason

Latest posts

Back