4ft x 8ft workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, here are a few pics of the building I'm am in process of converting over to a workshop.
It is an old building made of stone 54ft long. I put a galvanised roof on.

Building a large workbench at the moment and thought I'd ask peoples opinion.

The timbers are 2 x 4s, doubled up for legs.
A sheet of spruce plywood 8ft by 4ft.
I'm going to drill 35mm holes throughout and try and copy the Ron Paulk idea of using clamps.

Problem:
So far I put together a frame for the top, and I'm noticing the timbers are a bit warped.
Is this normal for B&Q timber, should I always be plaining these?

Also is a 4 x 8 too big?

Thanks
Graham
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-WmV ... sp=sharing

GrahamIreland":xb8jv0cr said:
So far I put together a frame for the top, and I'm noticing the timbers are a bit warped.
Is this normal for B&Q timber

Yes. To be honest, if you get wood that's only bendy in one dimension you should consider yourself lucky.

8x4 is pretty large for a single bench, but there's no such thing as too much flat surface. If you have the space for it - and it looks like you do - then it'll be useful to have built it that big sooner or later. But it is worth making it as flat as you can get it, otherwise you'll find that it causes problems for squareness during glue-ups and so on.

The problem with any flat surface is the temptation to dump things on them and the bigger the surface the more it gets cluttered. Perhaps you have more self discipline than me! You are very lucky to have such a large workshop area to use but I would try to incorporate some large windows or roof lights because you can't beat natural light. Post some more pics as the fit out progresses.

Bill

If you're planning to build large scale furniture and you can work from both sides, there might be a purpose in a 4' wide bench - but I suspect it'll be way too wide. I reduced my top from 30" to 24" and it's better. Many would say 24" is too wide. You have room to have a separate assembly bench so a narrower top won't give you any problems.

Great space. I'd kill to have an 8x4 assembly table, but I'd agree with the others - probably a bit big for a workbench. FWIW my benches are mostly ~850mm deep - all are against walls though, so were designed with the back 100/150mm to hold the clutter ;)

Pete

I have two benches in my workshop - one is about 600mm deep and the other is a full 1220 x 2440 like yours. If you have access all round the bench you'll love it. It makes clamping and assembly an absolute breeze.
Last year I re-arranged my workshop and pushed the 8 x 4 bench up to a wall. In that configuration its nigh on useless.

Mine is used for assembly and as an outfit table for my TS and I'd cry if I had to let it go.

Having said that, if it isn't dead flat it'll drive you mad. I made three leg frames for mine and put them on Axi levelling feet. 2 sheets of 18mm MDF and one of 25mm for the top and it's perfect.

Thanks all for replies. I guess there;s no right answers, I mean I have plenty of space so far, so I might as well go for it.

I can reduce it later Im thinking if its too big. It'l be dry fitted.

Bill: made me laugh when you say post on the builds progress.
Its pretty much there in my eyes now!!

But no, I'll be adding to the build later on down the line.
just excited to start actually doing some woodwork now.

I have a table and a bench for my fathers house to get me started.

Graham

Back