3rd Festool post in a week (eeeek)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":jskv2svj said:
I think I have a rift in the space time continuum in my workshop where all my tapes and pencils disappear too. :lol:

Mike

That is a well-known phenomenon, Mike. I also have one in my workshop. I found that one cure is to buy up a job lot of tape measures. I bought two lots of 12 at a Pugh's auction several years ago and I've still got a few remaining in our continuum. Which reminds me, they have another wood auction next Saturday...must go down and see if they've got some more !

Wuffles":vav2f8vj said:
Yes and it has two measurements on the tape, red numbers are with the tail out, black for normal use.

See the point underneath it? That's for marking like a story stick, lock it in place and rather than rely on pencil marks, scratch it in situ.

You can wrap it and read the marking underneath the tape if you want.

Ah ok that makes sense. Looks like a decent bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about it you could use the tail of the Festool to scratch a story stick.

Might have to give that a go - when I find it!

Also lost my wooden step from the workshop (hardly small) and my laptop back (which I'm hopeful is where my tape is!)

Another vote for Hultafors, the perfect tape measure for the metric cabinet maker. But they're really a bench tool rather than a site tool, they're a bit on the delicate side, which is why the diddy 2m version is ideal to slip in an apron pocket.

For clambering around timber yards and measuring up boards you need something a bit more robust. I've been trying the Vica Versa that was recommended on this site recently and it's brilliant, you can read it from both sides and it's as tough as old boots. The only problem is that it's metric only and a surprising number of the out of the way timber yards that I go to are still exclusively imperial, so there's still a role for the trusty Starratt rule.

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 636
Just a shout for Advent tapes here...

... I've got the "Master Precision" (Class1) It wasn't expensive, it is no-frills, but nice to use.
Thinking about getting the vice-versa one though, as I'm left handed.

I checked my other tapes against it when I got it. TBH, hardly any significant difference - possibly 1/2mm over 5m (except my fibreglass 50m tape, which was to be expected).
So it's "nice" to have the confidence that it's class 1, but I'm blowed if it makes much difference. It is comfortable to use though with a nice "footbrake" button underneath, as well as a proper lock.

DiscoStu":28820h8f said:
Thinking about it you could use the tail of the Festool to scratch a story stick...
Bear in mind that the flip-out pointy bit on the festool/BMI tape relates to the hole in the tape, not the end stop - so perhaps not as handy as you might think. Also, try a YouTube search for "tape measure tricks" - you'll find 'scribing an arc' is a staple of many measures. I think the Festool tape consolidates a lot of good features into a single device - I just wish they'd make it a bit beefier.

Pete

I got one as a freebie years ago. It has a few clever gizmos on it but I'm the same as Peter , I never used it for work really as it's too flimsy

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

petermillard":1mue2nkc said:
Bear in mind that the flip-out pointy bit on the festool/BMI tape relates to the hole in the tape, not the end stop - so perhaps not as handy as you might think.

Pete

Very good point!

Reminds me a bit of when my Dad was doing some stuff with my Grandad. He was busy measuring and cutting and then went to offer some of the wood up and found it was short. "You have allowed for the two inches haven't you" came the comment from my Grandad. Turns out the tape had got damaged so he cut two inches off and reattached the end!

My dad was not happy!

Have to agree that the quality of the Festool tape measure is a little poor but then it's clearly rebadged fan merchandise and doesn't pretend to be otherwise. It's worth the asking price in my opinion as it is quite useful.

My weapon of choice at the moment is the Draper expert range of measures. They have taken loads of abuse and still maintain their accuracy - well impressed.

its an interesting point about the accuracy of tape measures, I am pretty religious in using the same tape measure to avoid encountering inaccuracy issues between different tape measures.
I.e. if i use the 3 metre tape to measure the gap, I will use the same measure to mark out the timber to fit the gap. Whether the tape is right or wrong is irrelevant providing you always use the same measure.
Please note I appreciate this only works if you are working on your own and your tape measure doesn't drift into the chasm like most pencils and tape measures do from time to time.

Adam9453":1uz9i941 said:
Whether the tape is right or wrong is irrelevant providing you always use the same measure.

A very valid point, accuracy is relevant to the instrument being used to measure it.

Sort of! Let's try a real world example. If you take a traditional tape and measure inside width of an alcove to make a shelf.

So you measure the inside gap with the tape. (Let's assume you can accurately get the figure from the tape). You then use the same tape to measure the shelf. Again let's assume you read and cut the shelf perfectly accurately then the shelf should be a perfect fit regardless of the tape used?

Well not necessarily. When you take an inside measurement the hook of the tape is pushed along the tape to allow for the thickness of the hook. When you then measure the shelf the hook is pulled away from the tape. If the tape and rivets allow for a bigger or smaller movement than the thickness of the hook then you're measurement will be out.

That said I think you'd struggle to find a tape where this was significantly out to affect wood working tolerances.

DiscoStu":9xz8rorl said:
Sort of! Let's try a real world example. If you take a traditional tape and measure inside width of an alcove to make a shelf.

So you measure the inside gap with the tape. (Let's assume you can accurately get the figure from the tape). You then use the same tape to measure the shelf. Again let's assume you read and cut the shelf perfectly accurately then the shelf should be a perfect fit regardless of the tape used?

Well not necessarily. When you take an inside measurement the hook of the tape is pushed along the tape to allow for the thickness of the hook. When you then measure the shelf the hook is pulled away from the tape. If the tape and rivets allow for a bigger or smaller movement than the thickness of the hook then you're measurement will be out.

That said I think you'd struggle to find a tape where this was significantly out to affect wood working tolerances.

Talmeter, doesn't happen.

If the end has a bit of play in it then you just need to make sure it's either in compression or extension in both circumstances. It's straightforward enough to make sure you are pulling or compressing the end in both situations.
I'm probably going to go for the Hultafors talmeter 6 metre as I like the extra features it has over the shorter versions.
I'll just have to make sure I remember to read the correct numbers depending on whether I'm doing internal or external measurements

Try the 3m first if you don't work over that size, it's a lot less money. Less bulky too.

Adam9453":3k7j3wsw said:
I'll just have to make sure I remember to read the correct numbers depending on whether I'm doing internal or external measurements
Lol, nobody's *ever* made anything 4" shorter than it needs to be using a talmeter #-o - though it's the kind of thing you only do once!

Back