3rd Festool post in a week (eeeek)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this won't be so controversial. I bought the Festool tape measure a while ago.

Not too sure why I bought it to be honest. Probably just because I like the brand. Anyway, I am just posting on here to say that anyone who does furniture or almost any normal wood working would probably benefit from it.

Obviously it works like a normal tape measure but it also has two neat little tricks:

1 - You can accurately measure the inside of a space ie alcove or inside a drawer. You push the metal tip against one side, the back of the tape measure against the other and then read off the distance in the window.

2 - You can flip out a plastic "flap" which has a pin it it. You can then put a pencil through a hole in the tip end and draw curves or circles. The radius is the figure in the window so if you need a 200mm circle (diameter) drawing. Then set the tape to 100mm and off you go.

I think it's brilliant and not much more than a standard Stanley tape.

The only downside is that I've currently misplaced mine and it's annoying me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quality of this tape came up time after time on the FOG years ago, in that, you drop it and it's had it. Problems with the return springs were also common. All in all it was considered a little poor given the Festool badge stuck on it, perhaps they've improved it.

The inside measuring ability is better (as is the build quality) on the Hultafors, was the opinion of even hardened fans.

Talking of Festool badges stuck on things, recently watched a Festool level (which is a re-painted Stabila) on eBay go sky high. Discussion about it on a FB group littered with Festool fanboys was that they didn't care about the cost, just wanted the item and weren't interested in the least in the original Stabila.

I think I have a rift in the space time continuum in my workshop where all my tapes and pencils disappear too. :lol:

Mike

The Festool tape measure does feel a bit flimsy and cheaply made in my opinion.
But it's extremely useful and worth the money just for accurate inside measuring alone.
If my one broke I would definitely buy another of the same.

You can delete your own posts Roughcut - there's a button bottom right I think next to edit.

I think that Festool/BMI tape measure is OK and nothing more. Mine was a freebie and is lost 99% of the time, which is about 2% higher than the average tape measure/stanley knife/etc.

The inside measurement is its most useful feature, but not unique. I have never bothered to check it but do not really understand how the top scale works, being as the diameter of the coiled tape changes depending on how much tape is being used. Presumably it is calibrated on 0 retraction or something or I may not have thought this through properly.

Anyway, although it is ok for small measurements, the tape itself is too flimsy for my liking - much prefer the likes of Big T.

Not seen the Festool tape, but I have this milwaukee one and am really pleased. It's got metric marks on both sides, with a magnetic end. Very accurate and easy to mark

f55c11d822c86bbadcc3106c185b39a6.jpg

I would agree that the Festool tape isn't a robust wide tape but it is only a 3m tape (I think) and I only use it for smallish stuff. The retraction is fine but a little more springyness wouldn't be a bad thing.

I do also have a Stanley fat max wide 8m tape and that is much better for bigger items. Still think the Festool is innovative and useful though. I actually have about 8 tapes 3 Stanley, my Festool and various other cheap ones that I've bought when I've been buying something and needed a measure stuff and forgotten to take a tape.

Despite all of this I do find myself going to the Festool. Oh and it been dropped, pinged and even flung across the room with no issues. (I threw it at our cat when he was about to jump into a tray of paint!) To clarify I didn't aim at him I just want to make him jump (not into the paint).

3 meter tape with a thin blade is a bad idea, whoever it's made by; I have the Festool/BMI tape (somewhere...) but stopped using it ages ago as it was too flimsy - you could barely extend the tape halfway before it collapses under its own weight. I use the old (pre-Hultafors) Talmeter tapes - 3m with the 25mm blade is my favourite, sadly not made any more - great for internal measurements.

Edited to add - Talmeter family, back when they were new (apart from the broken one...)
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip I wasn't aware you could get tapes with an internal measurement feature. I will be getting one immediately as it will save me hours compared to using my expanding rod thing that I made

Also if you stick the tail out how do you read the measurement? With the Festool you read through the window but this doesn't seem to have it.

Yes and it has two measurements on the tape, red numbers are with the tail out, black for normal use.

See the point underneath it? That's for marking like a story stick, lock it in place and rather than rely on pencil marks, scratch it in situ.

You can wrap it and read the marking underneath the tape if you want.

Back