3mm or 4mm glass?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carocris

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice with the workshed i am building. There are 7 windows in total and i am at the stage of getting glass. Do you think 4mm glass will give much more sound insulation than 3mm, or is the difference barely noticeable. They are single pane windows. I can get my hands on 3mm cheaply, otherwise i have to go to glass suppliers for 4mm.

Don't use 3.........and I would suggest that double glazed units are so cheap these days that you may as well use them. The noise reduction is much better, and you will get less condensation and heat loss.

Don't forget to use safety glass if the window is within 800 of the floor, or 300 of any door........and even if your shed doesn't require compliance with the Building regs this is just good sensible practice anyway.

Mike

Thanks for the input. I want the windows to match the house and they are sash so double glazed units arn't really for me. 6mm? That will deflect bullets (or should i say spindle cutters).

So 3mm is a definite no?

For added safety use 6.4 laminated.

In case of breakage, the interlayer holds the fragments together and continues to provide resistance to the passage of persons or objects. This glass is particularly suitable where it is important to ensure the resistance of the whole sheet after breakage.

carocris":18mp1led said:
Thanks for the input. I want the windows to match the house and they are sash so double glazed units arn't really for me.

Sash doesn't exclude double glazing, you know. Anyway, your choice.

Paul is right regarding laminated glass....and you won't regret it.

Mike

I was working at a friends workshop last summer,

chopping some scrap timber up with an axe for the fire, as you do

one split piece went flying through the air and straight through the workshop window, thus resulting in a right pain in the buttocks.

If you can afford it get some 6.4mm laminated like CNC Paul said.

Thanks guys, i will look into both the double glazed and the laminated glass.

I recently replaced the glass in my workshop with double glazed units. That is just the glass not the frames. They were all approx 700mm X 450mm. There were 8 in all and that came to about £100 I seem to recall.

Mick

Back