3M sanding sponges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyNelson

Reaction score
I found one of these in a box while clearing out the old shed, no idea where/when I picked it up. I used it the other evening to clean up the top of a teak garden table before oiling and I was impressed by how much it shifted & how relativley easy it was in comparison to paper & a cork block.

What is the general opinion of things like this as an alternative to normal paper? The one I have is about equivalent to 80 grit and I was thinking of getting some finer grades for general use.

I use those things for decorating when I'm rubbing down paintwork. I soak them in a strong solution of the yellow sugar soap liquid so not only do you rub the old paintwork down, but it's chemically cleaned at the same time. It then just needs to be rinsed off and it's ready for the undercoat - Rob

WillyNelson":38hfs2n6 said:
I found one of these in a box while clearing out the old shed, no idea where/when I picked it up. I used it the other evening to clean up the top of a teak garden table before oiling and I was impressed by how much it shifted & how relativley easy it was in comparison to paper & a cork block.

What is the general opinion of things like this as an alternative to normal paper? The one I have is about equivalent to 80 grit and I was thinking of getting some finer grades for general use.

I suspect you mean 3M Scotchbrite pads?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... /Hand-Pad/

sort of thing?

Different grades are coloured differently - If there's a local Autopaint (or other Auto Refinishing) supplier nearby - much cheaper than anyone else. Typically £1 per sheet or less.

WillyNelson":1umk0r1n said:
Nope. I mean a 3M sanding sponge.
Like this

I use the ones that I bought in Axminster...that one (green) is course and they make varying colours down the grits in the total range...

They are really good at getting scratches out and general smoothing..particularly useful on a lathe. I tried to find them on Axminster but you can get them on fleaBay.

3M Medium, Fine and Superfine Sanding Sponges

Also Garryflex is excellent:

Axminster have them

If you can get the finer 3M ones go for it...I bought mine 5 years ago and am STILL using them! I think red is finer than green and white is finest.

Jim

Back