34 rubbish emails this morning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Time to get a new email address do you think?

We used to moan about the waste of natural resources (paper mail) surely the internet is exceeding that?

Which email provider do you use? I use Google, and it's pretty fantastic at filtering out spam. It then becomes a case of just unsubscribing from retailers and the like

None on my 'proper' email address... 56 on my 'everyday carry' address.

Between them Virgin Media, Google Gmail seems to catch almost all rubbish mail, just the occasional one might get through but it's unusual. I do sometimes get a blitz of stuff from firms I've bought from but there's always a way to unsubscribe.

Conversely it also pays to look in your junk mail where proper emails sometimes end up.
Russell

I think I get spam from two places, which can't be bad. I have two that go to spam as I subscribed and can't unsubscribe - as cunningly enough the link is inactive. As above check your spam as sometimes a genuine mail gets there, and ensure you don't publish your email address in public domain - corrupt it with spaces or "at" instead of @.

I once went to the bottom of every one of those emails for a month and followed the unsubscribe procedure and the number declined significantly. It's worth doing if you want to keep the email address.

phil.p":1y2rfmay said:
Great ............. if they'll allow you to unsubscribe.

Not all of them do, but quite a lot do. If they don't, you just classify them with spam every time you get them until they stop showing up in your folder.

I get about 1 spam email a week in my main yahoo address at this point. Perhaps less than that, and usually it is something related to what I'm doing (for example, I buy a pocket knife from a retailer, I'm sure that either the company that manages their internet store or the retailer themselves trades the data off to someone and then I get several emails over the next few weeks for pocket knives - until I realize what's going on, and then put a stop to it by unsubscribing. It could very well be a tracking cookie or something else from google, amazon, etc, that sees that I ordered from a store and attaches my email address to that behavior and starts with the nonsense. Who knows?)

tony_s":36apb513 said:
All well & good but what has this got to do with hand tools?

You can use hand tools to open a tin of spam when the provided method fails miserably.

If marking unwanted emails as spam does not work you should have an option to bock senders. My Yahoo account has the capacity to block up to 1000 addresses.

I quite like spam, fried or battered, not had it in ages though.... since school probably.

rafezetter":s3vk142f said:
I quite like spam, fried or battered, not had it in ages though.... since school probably.
Army spam fritters, - hockey pucks for the hungry!

On topic I find g mail excellent since I moved to them.

tony_s":s3vk142f said:
All well & good but what has this got to do with hand tools?
Nothing, - but then it isn't in the hand tool forum is it :roll:

As one chap suggested, use public and private addresses, 3 of them is best - the main volume of leaks of active email addresses to junk spammers is through customer databases on ill-secured company sites, or those of companies that sell your details on (legally or otherwise) or 'pass to a select group of our trusted partners..'. With a lot of online billing for household stuff etc you can't realistically keep yourselff off those, so split the email into 2 or 3 channels based on trust level, eg.;

Personal email for real friends and family who won't sell your email on / store it in a company database (obviously it'll be in your friend's contact list with apple or google or wherever, nothing you can do about that) - this one would be pretty much permanent.

Bills, household, warranty etc and other necessities email for companies that you must or want to deal with, but who may well sell your email address on, maybe change whenever you move house, or each year perhaps.

A junk, entirely disposable one for everything else

Gmail is good for filtering as others say but obviously they'll read your email and all that in return for providing the email service (it's not free...).

When any of them start getting cluttered, say the junk one - create a new junk email account, forward the old junk account to the new one (gmail is good at forwarding too, have it forward & delete so you don't get duplicates) and start giving out the new address, after a month or three, archive it to a big file you can search/read on your computer (eg HouseholdEmail2017.txt or the like, if you want) and delete the old one, or leave it there as a permanent archive.

Gmail is quite good at switching between email accounts, and most clients handle multiple emails well so shouldn't be a pain to have the three rather than just one - the only slight gotcha is with an email client handling multipole addresses, there is a risk of accidentally replying to a household email from your personal email, but not a disaster.

There's usually an option somewhere to only accept emails from addresses that are already in your address book. Then check your spam occasionally for genuine rejected messages. I check my spam at least every three months :oops:
Duncan

D_W":3e1td07z said:
I once went to the bottom of every one of those emails for a month and followed the unsubscribe procedure and the number declined significantly. It's worth doing if you want to keep the email address.

Some of the more obvious spam, tends to use the "unsubscribe" link as a proof of life for an email address and then sends you more :lol:

Latest posts

Back