33mm spindle tap anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I`m making a vacuum chuck like Bobham`s and need to make 3 or 4 different size faceplates with 33mm internal threads for my vic and before I give Peter a bell at Toolpost wondered if anyone wanted to sell their spindle tap?
Thanks
Steve

Resurrecting an old thread I know, but on the same topic, would mdf or ply take a thread do you think or is wood limited to the traditional close grain hardwoods?

S

Hi Simon

Almost any wood will tap as long as you do it cross grain and not end grain. Don't know if you saw my article in Woodturnng this month on turning spheres, where I tap a piece of Tulip (Poplar) with a 3/4 x 16tpi thread to suit the Oneway live centre. If you can tap Tulip you can tap anything.

HTH

Richard

+1 for Richard's comments.
Side grain in most timbers will hold a thread.

Our club's resident segmented turning expert, Bill Robinson, advocates making up a segmented ring of at least 4 segments for threading and since it has no end grain it takes a thread perfectly independent of the timber. The principal works for chased threads too.

HTH
Jon

When I put my vacuum chuck system together I only saw myself needing 2 different sized chucks so decided to use small metal faceplates to make them. It means that the thread will never degrade over time with use and they should continue to operate the same throughout their life. The faceplate is fastened to a thick-ish piece of wood mounted cross grain and the walls of the chuck are thick plastic pipe (gas I think). Make them as well as you can and they'll last you years.

Do you really need 4 different sizes of vacuum chuck?

Duncan - point noted, I may yet end up doing just that.

I the meantime I have ordered the spindle tap from RDG (similar price / spec to Toolpost but free postage, Toolpost are circa £6 p&p on a £20 item - is this always the case or have they decided they are not in the mail order business for smaller orders and are pricing to discourage?).

S

SVB":3thl6u9j said:
Duncan - point noted, I may yet end up doing just that.

I the meantime I have ordered the spindle tap from RDG (similar price / spec to Toolpost but free postage, Toolpost are circa £6 p&p on a £20 item - is this always the case or have they decided they are not in the mail order business for smaller orders and are pricing to discourage?).

S

I have found toolpost to be hard work trying to find anything on on their website, and not greatly helpful on the phone either. The postage cost is the final hurdle, so I look elsewhere if possible. Some stuff, I have even imported and it has been less hassle with the shipping and import duty than trying to get it from toolpost. The dollar exchange rate isnt as good as it was now, but it offset the additional postage.

(Of Toolpost) - which is a really shame as I have visited their shop (didcot iirc) which is really nice, very well stocked and a great place to look at loads of more exotic kit (they were a supplier for oneway / kelton tools and had mcnaughton centre saver kits etc in stock to look at), all expensive stock to hold so should be a very positive offering for turners.

Shame this positive footing is not fully exploited in the web / mail order part.

S

The Toolpost website is shockingly bad and has been in need of a revamp for years. Why do they insist on having all prices without VAT?

The web site is a bit iffy, but the shop is excellent with old fashioned good service
Peter is a really nice bloke.
I went in there once planning to buy some expensive kit and he talked me into buying something cheaper saying it would do the job better. He was right of course.
He genuinely wants people to have the best rather than just make a sale.
I have been in and told them I was only browsing but they are still very welcoming
Fortunately for my bank balance I only get in there a couple of times a year.

Latest posts

Back