3 phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nev.
You will be able to get a digital invertor & new 3 phase invertor compatable motor for under £300 for the table saw. So well worth doing.

The bandsaw could be more difficult if you need to change the motor, as this will not be foot mounted. I`m trying to do an old BZB at the moment, & though well worth the effort, i`m trying to keep costs down.

Post some photos of the machines, there are lots of folks who will guide you through.

Good luck.

I been looking a the inverters, the cheapest I can find is from direct drives, and the most suitable one is £400, It would be cheaper but the motor is not duel voltage, but even if it was the inverter would run the saw at half or 3/4 of it full speed. The inverter the guy said I'd need is £400.

Nev Hallam":2g85sjq0 said:
I been looking a the inverters, the cheapest I can find is from direct drives, and the most suitable one is £400, It would be cheaper but the motor is not duel voltage, but even if it was the inverter would run the saw at half or 3/4 of it full speed. The inverter the guy said I'd need is £400.

Dual voltage motors do NOT run at different speeds for different voltages!
Induction motor speed are governed by the way they are wound and the frequency of the supply.
If direct drives are spreading this sort of rubbish, then they are not to be trusted. That said I'm very surprised as Dave at DD has a good reputation.

Direct Drives sell a range of modified inverters that have the ability to produce 440 volt 3 phase from 240 single phase. This is relatively unusual and will solve problems such as Nev is facing but being relatively rare, DD is charging a premium for doing the modifications. Good luck to him for doing it and he is addressing a market need for a market price.

Bob

No No its not Dave Its more likely me not knowing enough about the subject, Dave told me to check if the motor was duel voltage, wadkin told me it wont be, Dave did have a solution to this however it costs more, All I want is to get the maximum potential out of my machine and to get it through the cheapest and easiest method. In honesty If its going to cost £400 for the digital inverter at least £100 to get it wired in, it takes me back to won't it be just as easy to get a sip or a jet or a deft? Round and round! ha ha.

Nev.

Electric motor man does a 3 phase 3 HP motor for £90 inverter compatable.
Transwave do an IMO 3HP 3 phase inverter for £230.

£320 job done, thats off e-bay, deal with them direct & you will probably get them cheaper.

This will do a table saw with a bit of jigging, though a bandsaw is a different kettle of fish, with the motor mounting, so the motor will probably cost more.

Im not too worried about the band saw. Who is electric motor man? I'm a tad confused now. What your saying is for me to change the motor so that I can use a phase inverter yes? Would it be just as easy to change the motor to a single phase motor and that way I wouldnt need an inverter? I never changed a motor before either so I'd have to get some help. Thanks for the input me ode!

Nev.
Bob knows far more about motors etc than me, so is better to advise on the technicalities.
The reason i would go for an inverter & 3 phase motor on an old machine, is the amps draw on start up. Single phase 3hp motor will draw approximately 13amps with no load at start up, & considerably more if starting under load.
Also with an inverter controlled motor you can control the start up & slow down times & the running speed of the motor . Giving you much more control over the motor, which depending on the machine can be very useful, particularly in stopping a spinning blade quickly.
Also 3 phase in my experience is much quieter.

Back