3 phase problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all...

I have bout a scm fs35 smart planer/Thicknesser 3 phase.

I have a 5.5kw trans wave converter and have checked the wiring and wired a 16amp size 5 pin plug to it.... to replace the 32amp 5pin plug which was too big for my converter.

Can anyone suggest why I can’t get it to fire up.... my sparky mate suggests the starter lacks oomph....

I’m bafffled at the moment I saw it working perfectly before I brought it home.... and it’s so nice I just want to have play and smooth something with it.

Any help /advice appreciated

Sounds like your invertor (static?) does not have enough output current reserve to cover the start up surge and is going into current limit mode to protect it.

What happens to the output voltage between phases when you try to start your machine, zero by any chance?

Was it rigged up to a converter when you heard it running?

If not you might have to change the wires around in the plug - its happened to me before.

Merlin

What size HP motor does the planer have,I have a 15 HP trans wave converter as its 3 times the HP of the motor for start up load,I doubt yours is big enough.

Is this the only 3 phase machine you have? If not plug the other in and see what happens.

Remove belt from motor and try again - does it rotate? If so in what direction?

Are all the microswitches etc in the corect position? Easy with a new machine to have one not making contact because the hood or table are not in correct position?

Emergency stop pushed in? I do that loads

Not familiar with transwave but are there any error messages?

If you have any other 3 phase machines, start one and then try and start your new machine.
Alternatively swap the 3 phase wires around, sometimes newer machines don't like the dirty leg of the 3 phase coming from the converter

My static is only 5.5kw and starts my EQ spindle moulder no problem which is 5hp and my 30" bandsaw which is similar

Can depend on the motor type,5,5 kw converter works out at 6.7 HP which is still not big enough to power up a 4 HP 3 phase delta/star type motor.A 7.5 kw converter is only 10 HP which is still to small for 4 kw/5.3 HP motor.

I have a 3HP converter and was using it to run a 3 HP motor on a Colchester lathe. I t did actually work, but wouldn't start the lathe when top speed was selected.
I then go hold of a 5HP motor to use as a balancing motor. It now all works fine. I don't really understand why a 3 phase converter should start a 5 HP motor, but it does.
So you might get some success if you can get hold of a suitable balancing motor.
K

A lathe motor does not use a big start up load like the bigger machines hence why a 2 hp converter will run a 3 hp 3 phase motor.

Back