3 phase machine motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy

Reaction score
:( I have purchased a multico saw, 16" blade maximum, with a 3 phase 4kw motor. I believe this motor is not the original motor and is too big :?: Can anyone tell me what size single phase motor would be sufficient to run this machine :?: Themachine having a 3 pulley system to motor and twin belts. This machine comfortably takes 14" blades as did my old machine. I have taken a photograph of the machine but as a rooky to the forum I do not know how to insert photo. Finding it extremely hard to even obtain a single phase motor. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Hi Ozzy
I am sure that someone who knows these machines will be along soon, but i would not be surprised to find that the 3 phase motor is an original fitting.

Hello Ozzy, welcome.

You can find out how to post photographs here
As to the machine there's only one person that will give you the definitive answer, Scrit.

Dom

Bean":1t9z0doi said:
Hi Ozzy
I am sure that someone who knows these machines will be along soon, but i would not be surprised to find that the 3 phase motor is an original fitting.

Thanks Bean - I am sure it is not the original motor for the machine, becaue of colouring but it might be the correct size. I am sure we will talk again.

Ozzy

DomValente":1jwzaesa said:
Hello Ozzy, welcome.

You can find out how to post photographs here
As to the machine there's only one person that will give you the definitive answer, Scrit.

Dom

Thanks Dom, will have a go at downloading pics.

As for Scrit - how do I find the man

Regards

Ozzy

DomValente":13ffys9c said:
He usually puts in an appearance later in the evening.
Here's Scritty!!!!! :roll:

First off, Ozzy, 4kW (circa 5.5HP) is not abnormally large for a 16in rip saw. The 16in Sedgwick LK ripsaw had a similar size of motor whilst Wadkin used to fit a 5HP motor in the 20in BSW rip saw, so the Multico isn't freakishly large. If you drop down from a 16in blade to a 14in one you'll lose an inch in depth of cut, from somewhere around 5-1/2in deep to abouyt 4-1/2in and you'll probably find that a 3HP motor (2.2kW) motor will be up to the task, although it may tend to bog down a wee bit more under deep ripping. You may need to make-up a new riving knife as 16in blades gebneraly have a kerf of 3.5 to 3.8mm whilst 14in blades are often the same 3.2mm that you'd see on most 12in saws. The riving knife needs to be about 3.0 or 3.1mm for use with a 3.5mm blade. The other thing I'd recommend is that you build a goodly sized run-off table behind the machine

For a source of motors try Machine Mart who do a 3HP 1-phase motor at around £90. You'll need to check the frame size and mounting of the original motor - hopefully it is a foot-mounted motor as opposed to a flange mounted one - and you may need to get the drive pulley bored-out and/or sleeved to accommodate the old drive pulley. A 3HP single-phase contactor set can be had from most electrical wholesalers (I'd recommend the ABB ones sold by Electrical Center - part of the Wolseley Group of Plumb Center fame - as their own "house" brand). If this is for trade use you'll also need a DC injection brake, although with a larger saw like this I'd recommend fitting one in any case as iyt can take some for a blade to run-down and run-down accidents are/were a common cause of injury with rip saws

Scrit

Scrit":iiwq0a0w said:
DomValente":iiwq0a0w said:
He usually puts in an appearance later in the evening.
Here's Scritty!!!!! :roll:

First off, Ozzy, 4kW (circa 5.5HP) is not abnormally large for a 16in rip saw. The 16in Sedgwick LK ripsaw had a similar size of motor whilst Wadkin used to fit a 5HP motor in the 20in BSW rip saw, so the Multico isn't freakishly large. If you drop down from a 16in blade to a 14in one you'll lose an inch in depth of cut, from somewhere around 5-1/2in deep to abouyt 4-1/2in and you'll probably find that a 3HP motor (2.2kW) motor will be up to the task, although it may tend to bog down a wee bit more under deep ripping. You may need to make-up a new riving knife as 16in blades gebneraly have a kerf of 3.5 to 3.8mm whilst 14in blades are often the same 3.2mm that you'd see on most 12in saws. The riving knife needs to be about 3.0 or 3.1mm for use with a 3.5mm blade. The other thing I'd recommend is that you build a goodly sized run-off table behind the machine

For a source of motors try Machine Mart who do a 3HP 1-phase motor at around £90. You'll need to check the frame size and mounting of the original motor - hopefully it is a foot-mounted motor as opposed to a flange mounted one - and you may need to get the drive pulley bored-out and/or sleeved to accommodate the old drive pulley. A 3HP single-phase contactor set can be had from most electrical wholesalers (I'd recommend the ABB ones sold by Electrical Center - part of the Wolseley Group of Plumb Center fame - as their own "house" brand). If this is for trade use you'll also need a DC injection brake, although with a larger saw like this I'd recommend fitting one in any case as iyt can take some for a blade to run-down and run-down accidents are/were a common cause of injury with rip saws

Scrit

Hi Scrit

Many thanks for the information - all of it very helpful. My own thoughts were 2.2kw 3hp but needed confirmation before purchasing one. Will take into consideration all your tips - I just hope this motor will come with a 28mm shaft, it makes life easier.

Regards Ozzy

If you have a 16"saw, one day your will want full cut and 3HP is too little power in my opinion.

For the same sort of money as you will spend on a 3hp SP motor, you could buy a secondhand transwave 3 phase converter on ebay. Provided you have sufficient current capabilty in your workshop power circuits, then you can stick with the exisitng motor, knowing you have the extra power avaialbe when you need it.

Bob

many thanks for your reply but have been down that road already size of converter second hand is an issue price another and fitting a seperate power point another im all for the easy route regards ozzy

Hi

I went through a similar exercise a couple of years ago with a 3 phase metal lathe that I converted to single phase (I do a bit of model engineering as well). I found the following books brilliant as they take you through everything you need to know - even bulding your own 3 phase converter if you want !! :D Hopefully I have put the links in right :?

link1

link2

The thing to remember is not only getting the right KW ( I think mine is a 2.2kw which I replaced for a 4hp 3 phase, I'll have to check it!). You also need to ensure that you get the frame size right as well.

The other thing to mention is the shaft diameter I know it sounds obvious but when you get your pulley you will need a certain overall diameter to have the right step up / down ratio, you need to make sure though that the shaft size (bore) is compatible with your motor. I struggled to get the right diameter pulley with the correct diameter bore, I bought my pulley from machine mart and the motor from a local supplier, they didn't match and I had to get it bored out to suit.

Once you have matched all this up you need to check what size Vee belt you need as the pulley diameter may be different from the original (assuming you can't use the original - you probably can - check the shaft sizes though!) and you'll have to compensate in the length (diameter) of the vee belt, the other thing to mention about vee belts is there is different types, you can get these is required from places like RS Components and maybe Axminster (i'm not sure)

If you get stuck, drop me a line and I can probably scan in the relevant pages, email over to you and we could have a chat.

Good Luck!! :D

darren

Hi Darren

Thanks for your post and the trouble you went to in downloading books together with your comments. Sorry I didn't get back to you before now but with Scrit's help I got exactly what I wanted with 28" shaft - my pully fit perfect with a few adjustments and wiring. I am in garage doing what I love best. Hope we chat again. :D

Regards Ozzy (Nigel)

Back