2nd hand multico or new axmin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheik Hans

Established Member
Reaction score
there are a couple of multico planers offered in my local rag and i'm wondering which one is the bigger one? And ive just discovered i cant post pictures easily [http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheik_hans/] i hope that worked . Now given the choice between buying one of these and a new single phase axminster one ,bearing in mind i'll have to convert the multicos >Whhat would you do and what price would be fair ? As i m not in the UK things are a lot more expensive here . .Any tips on any problems usually found with the multicos would be appreciated .

Nowhere in the world is dearer than the UK for buying,because VAT and import tax adds to the true value of a porduct.

Your pic did not how SH.

Ha i beg to differ on the most expensive place in Europe being the UK . i bet a pint in the Legs of Man or The philharmonic rooms cost a lot less than a pint here .In England you are spoilt rotten with choice for everything .One of the sheds sites ,like Aintree ,holds more shops than the entire county i live in. Anyway i digress try picture again

4696137898_c2de1a5e7c.jpg

and the other one
4696137894_549d7ac0b5.jpg

Which end of merseyside you from? i hail from there originally.

First thing I'd do is to find out whether that green Multico machine comes with a bridge guard (clearly, no pictured! :shock:). If it is "missing", that's another expense you'll have to consider.

Are you doing this as a hobby or looking to start a small business? If it's the latter, you'll need to take a look at the Health and Safety regs. on woodworking machinery. While guarding is very important, they also now require that all machines are 'braked' so that they come to a natural stop within ten-seconds. If you're to be fitting a new 230v motor though, that'll probably sort that one for you.

If you can't afford all this extra expense and time then, if it's just you using the planer in your own workshop, you'd probably be better off buying new and avoiding all that hassle.

How many knives do the Multicos have compared with the Axminster machine? What's the maximum depth of cut, etc.? Basically, is there anything these can do that the Axminster model can not? I'd disregard the tenonning (?) feature in the second image as I believe these are also frowned upon by the HSE (plus, it would knacker your knives much faster).

Lots of good points there thanks Olly .
Yes it is more a hobby thing but i still want to be fairly safe . i think i will probably like you say be better off buying a newer one ,unless the price drops dramatically.

Back