29.02.2016 - leap year - should this day be a bank holiday?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make today (29th of February) a bank holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 60.0%

• Total voters

Emanuel

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the thing: Today is the 29th of february. Every 4 years there is an additional day added at the end of this month.
This day is an extra day of work which is not paid for. There is a campaign to make February 29th a bank holiday. What do you think? Should it be a bank holiday day, or not?
Vote below.

phil.p":2ksyd39t said:
Bank holidays should no longer exist - they serve no purpose. All they do is cause chaos on the roads.
That's a way to look at it, but I really hope that's not a popular opinion. :D

I suspect peoples' voting will correlate quite well with wether they're employees, employers, or self-employed.

BugBear

If you're salaried then you are working for free if you are working on the 29th, so I'd think it should be either paid or a day off, or a bank holiday. I suspect bank holidays don't actually cost a full days work for employeers. Firstly they make some savings in running costs but mainly I think they probably benefit from happier employees for the rest of the week, and therefore more productive!

DiscoStu":3lopskdg said:
I think they probably benefit from happier employees for the rest of the week, and therefore more productive!
It would be great if every employer would think like this. I read an article some time ago about how happier employees increase the productivity of a firm.
They made a study and showed how allowing employees to bring their pets once a week at work made them happier and this increased the productivity of the firm. I guess there are a lot of strategies that could work.

doctor Bob":bzcwnsk3 said:
Is it any wonder staff boil my p!ss with these sort of questions.
:D It is difficult to be an employer too :) I didn't even realise that this is a leap year until this morning when I read an article about it and I was curious what other people think about this.
To be honest, I was expecting more people to be pro the bank holiday.

If it is a company/contractor that has to provide twenty four hour, seven day a week service cover, then all bank holidays and weekends are a pain in the ass, having to change duty shifts around etc. Been there done it have the tee shirt.

Now retired so don’t have to worry, but feel for those that do. :(

So a no vote for yet another disruption to the work pattern. :evil:

Take care.

Chris.

Why is it people want BH's when the weather is likely to be poor?
So no to leap year and no Trafalgar Day as well

Hi

Agree with Bugbear, if you are working on contract then you get paid by the day!!

However, I would vote for a Bank Holiday sometime between August and December, perhaps by moving one of the two in May!! My suggested days would be to comemorate Trafalger or Agencourt. If we leavethe EU, then the French could'nt cpomplain!!!

Phil

I've been self employed all my working life since I came out of my apprenticeship. Never understood bank holidays. What are they for? When I was an employer it messed the month up. Abolish them all.

Also self employed and tend to end up working on most if not all bank holidays anyway, so couldn't care less to be honest. If I want a day off I take it when I want.

Bank holidays make a big difference to families and to the vast majority of working people. Personally I think it's nice for people to get an extra day occasionally and generally does the country good. As for employers well rearranging shifts is hardly a massive deal it happens all the time for various reasons and not just bank holidays. Being self employed well that's your choice when you take time off and if you want to work bank holidays then feel free to but don't expect everyone else to.

I'm working under contract on a daily rate so I don't get paid for bank holidays or any holidays but I do get paid for working on the 29th Feb! One day every four years is a bonus. However it's my choice to take the contract nobody put a gun to my head and the same is true of self employed. Would having one day every 4 years as a bank holiday really be so painful to people! Let's cheer up the country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":203fztxx said:
Bank holidays make a big difference to families and to the vast majority of working people. Personally I think it's nice for people to get an extra day occasionally and generally does the country good. As for employers well rearranging shifts is hardly a massive deal it happens all the time for various reasons and not just bank holidays. Being self employed well that's your choice when you take time off and if you want to work bank holidays then feel free to but don't expect everyone else to.

I'm working under contract on a daily rate so I don't get paid for bank holidays or any holidays but I do get paid for working on the 29th Feb! One day every four years is a bonus. However it's my choice to take the contract nobody put a gun to my head and the same is true of self employed. Would having one day every 4 years as a bank holiday really be so painful to people! Let's cheer up the country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was an employer I didn't have to rearrange shifts, I had to pay everyone for a day off and loose a day's production. It's a very expensive day for small businesses for no apparent reason.

Back