270 deg hinge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbieblyth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been commissioned to install a PA system in a church hall. All the equipment is going to be housed in a custom 19inch rack cabinet. I have built the basic carcass (19mm Oak faced MDF with Oak lipping), so far it has gone quite well for me- I need to work out a better way for making Lipping and where I have drilled and plugged the carcass screws that could do with being a bit neater but overall I'm pleased:

DSC00058-medium.jpg

Anyway I'm going to put a door on the front again made from the 19mm MDF and lipped but what I want to be able to do is hinge it from the left so that when fully opened it lies flat against the left hand side of the rack - ie needs to turn through 270 deg. I would rather do this with some form of traditional hinge rather than a kitchen style one as I don't want to obstruct the rack within the cabinet. Also the door is going to be lay-on rather than inset as I don't want to set the equipment to far back into the rack.

I'm sure there is an easy answer to this but my head is to full of the other elements of the project, cabling etc to work it out.

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you very much - I knew it would be something obvious like looking for a 270 deg hinge but I just could visualise how it would work!! Amazing some spatial concepts I am quite good at visualising and thinking through but hinges seem to confuse me no end.

Thanks again

I'm struggling to find a stockist of the hinges that cambournepete has suggested. I've looked at Woodfit and Isaac Lord (unless I can't drive their websites), screwfix, B & Q online and a local hardware store, any one got any good ideas, it looks like just the thing I need.

Cheers

B and Q online is shocking ............................. I think I may have seen this type of hinge in one of the B & Q warehouse stores but I'm not certain

If you've got one local it maybe an idea to pop down and have a look

Sorry Dom, I must be going blind - I have a good look through the Hafele catalogue and cannot see them- ones that look like the one cambournepete posted.

no worries, still on the hunt though, they look just the thing and seem to be readily available over the pond... but here :cry:

Woodfit do sell them look here or even a simple flush hinge will allow the door to fold right back and be less obtrusive than the cranked one, just screw to front of carcase and back of door.

JAson

Yes, I got it wrong, will only give 180 if used with a layon door.

J

Surely a flush hinge will only allow the door to open 180 deg before the outside corner of the door hits the carcass.

Depends how much you can get the knuckle of the hinge to project, so a small parliament type hinge could work.

The ones that Cambourne pete linked to look OK but the double cranked hinges easily available in the UK (the ones I have anyway) won't swing fully back with 18mm doors, I'm guessing about 16mm is the max they'll handle.

Plus they would need the side of the cabinet rebating for the hinge which wouldn't leave much to screw into.

Keith

Thanks for the input so far - I had already tried a flush hinge and knew that was not the way to go, I had picked up a double cranked hinge and it wasn't deep enough, so I am still hunting...

Check out the R-70 hinge on the post below. It's a neat recessed hinge which allows 270 degree opening. Have you thought of a piano hinge?

Also on the sugatsune site is the BH-80 which is sort of two hinges combined.

humectant - thanks, only just noticed your reply, unfortunately by then the box was finished and ready for installation the following day.

This is the completed unit in Situ:
DSC00076-medium.jpg

and
DSC00080-medium.jpg

and
DSC00076_edited-medium.jpg

The solution I came up with after experimenting with my assortment of butt hinges and cranked hinges was to make two oak blocks with a 45 degree slope on them and then use screw in lift off hinges into the block and the edge of the door:

DSC00080_edited-medium.jpg

The photo is naff but anyway it gave a good degree of rotation on the door and they can always lift it off if it gets in the way and works quite well in situ other than it just fouls the badly fitting striker plate on the door with the toilet signs on it.

Overall I was very pleased with the way it came together and they are very happy with the system, I didn't make anything like enough money on the cabinet side of the job, but I couldn't really make them pay for me learning to lip Oak etc, and I think it is a step up from the cabinet I made for them 7 years ago out of Pineboard (shown below):

cheddarrack-medium.jpg

Latest posts

Back