230-240v plunge saw with rail long enough for doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I need to make accurate cuts on the long ends of a couple of french doors and also have a number of other projects lined up which will require me to cut down large sheet goods to make cabinets. I also need to make a door frame.

I do have a table saw and a table sled which work great but not for the really large/heavy stuff which also requires a lot of space. It would be much better (as in safer) and more accurate to use a plunge saw.

I don't have a large budget but am looking for something that is going to last more than 5-6 jobs and give me accurate results.

Could someone please tell me what they would recommend in this scenario? I have read reviews on a number of different machines and am actually more confused now than I was originally.

I would definitely consider buying second hand if it meant I was getting a good machine, does anyone know what is available that would suit which is for sale on the forums or somewhere else perhaps?

Do you mean down the length of the door, or across the width? Not at all clear from your original post, but assuming down the length, I'd use a decent circular saw with a fence attached, absolutely no need for a plunge/track saw.

Cut to the overall finish size of frame, then hand plane to fit to the frame, again assuming the two legs of the frame are, within reason, the same distance apart. If not, cut less off, and plane more.

Nice, that makes the Dewalt an attractive option over the Makita now. Thanks for that, how did you come across that price?

What do people think of these choices?

Sheepdisease":1wwu4wg7 said:
Nice, that makes the Dewalt an attractive option over the Makita now. Thanks for that, how did you come across that price?

I have not left my taken delivery of the dewalt from mytoolshed, really impressed with it so far.
Great build quality,very accurate and dust extraction is superb!

Sheepdisease":1x5lvoty said:

Just Typed "Dewalt Plunge Saw" in Google search

Any suggestions for blades I should use with the above Dewalt for cabinet making and nice finish with fairly thick materials?

On the DeWalt:

Is there a 3m rail for it?

It looks like it has an extra notch on the base so it runs on Festool/Makita rails too - does anyone know if that is the case?

I'm not sure I understand the reason for the rhomboid arrangement for plunging the saw. It looks overly complicated, but it must be done for a reason.

Will it do scoring cuts like some of the others?

. . .

I really like the safety clip on the Makita when it's used for bevelling cuts (anti-tipping). The person in the DW video had to work from the opposite side of the rail in order to hold the saw and that is far from helpful, as you cannot see what you are doing. Downside: no riving knife and awkward rail joining (but I have a 3m one now).

I also like the dust hose connector - mates with my two different shop vacs well, and swivels and is angled, so the hose doesn't catch too easily, and at a pinch you can use it without DX and direct the dust away from you.

Factor in other uses for the rails, i.e. router adapters, their cost and relevance to what you may already have or intend to buy in the future. The benefit of a rail system is beyond just plunge saws.

Buy the best you can afford is the best way to buy kit in this price bracket, that said I've heard little complaint of the DeWalt or Makita saws. I suspect you will be good with either choice.

Only other advice is this; when you get your saw, follow the instructions properly in making your first cut as this dictates the line along the plastic trim on the rail edge. Also, give the dust extraction some thought in the process - you need it.

Don't get the little scheppach one. I did when it was on offer at screwfix. It's ok, but the rail join rattles around and it's not really got much power to the saw. Good enough to show me how good a plunge saw is - I'll be upgrading to either the Dewalt or Makita soon

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Appreciate all your feedback, thank you.

Any suggestions for blades I should use with the above Dewalt for cabinet making and nice finish with fairly thick materials?

Back