1st hollow form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, popped in to see Mark Sanger for coffee and a chat, and met George Foweraker.
Ended up in Marks workshop having an impromptu hollowing lesson, 1st time I`ve done
any hollowing, used all of Marks hollowing tools Roly`s, Kelton`s etc, a fantastic time
with 2 great people, learnt loads, thanks very much Mark and George. :D Needless to say
I`m a very happy chap, here are some photos of the finished form,( Mark also gave me some pointers on taking photos) comments welcome.
STA70005-1.jpg

STA70004.jpg

STA70003.jpg

Looks like you have some issues with the finishing

are those chisel marks I can see on the outer profile or was you using 2 grit sandpaper :lol:

Professional tuition :-k :-k :-k

I will have to see the rule book for our 2011 challenge to see if you are banned #-o
O , its all right you are still in :mrgreen:

Nice work , it looks really good , I like it lots =D> =D> =D>

Allen

Sup Chill,

I spoke with Mark and he enjoyed himself too, how lucky are you, Sanger & The Raker in the one sesh, beautiful.

As for the piece, more of a closed bowl but it's still a beauty.

Nice1.

Lee.

Looks great Chris,

Sounds like you had a great time, and learnt loads. So what hollowing tool will you be buying ? ;-)

Hi all, thanks for the kind words,
Blister please dont ban me :cry: , the sandpaper wasn`t that fine :lol:
Jacob, its a bowlvaseurnformhollowthingy and the bevel on my gouges was concave
Lee, thanks very much, I`m very fortunate to have such good friends and mentors :D
Simon, define standard :lol:
Jon, you`re right it does look like a bowl and it is hollow :lol:
Loz, can`t decide, will have to try them all again :lol:

I really like that - don't normally like the beehive look but the beads are nice and small it it just looks right to me.

I am in no way jealous of time spent with the experts - I mean, who needs it? :cry:

Very nice looking whatever Chill :D
Beautiful piece of Walnut,is it :?: and very nicely finished.
What size is it :?:
Well done Mark and george :D

I was so busy with me wind up key Chris that I forgot to say how much I like it. Especially the way you have got the beads equal. That took some doing!

Gordon, you just wait till you get down here and I'll show you just how much you need an exspurt (my definition of 'expert' Ex = has been, spurt = drip under pressure) 8) 8)

Hi Chris

Good to see this up and I am glad you had a good day.

So you are all aware Chris came to me some time ago for a two day lesson and has a natural ability which I wish I had when I started. We have since become good friends and often meet to make shavings and drink copious amounts of coffee.

Mind you he has a workshop to die for and is very skilled in carving and other woodwork which is why I think he has taken to woodturning like duck to water. As well as having a good eye for form. I am not jealous of your workshop honest Chris. :D

Chris did all the work on this and it originally started off as a small hole hollow form as Chris informed us that he had never tried hollowing before. There was a crack around the entrance hole so once he had been through the various hollowing tools he opened it out to produce this piece.

It is as rightly pointed out a closed form/bowl :D but the process was to practice the tool use and presentation for hollowing.

=D> =D>

Jon, Gordon, HC, thankyou for the kind words,
Mark, you`ll have me blushing, :-D

Back