175 motor query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a decent ex- college 3 phase 175 on eBay. However I assumed my 2.2 KW converter would be ok for it,based on the Alt saws manuals, however, it has turned up with a 2.2/2.5 KW Aesa motor. It will start on my convertor, but runs backwards, I think due to the convertor dropping phases, it's only rated to 1.5 KW on a single motor (Transwave). I haven't checked the wiring yet/ engage my star delta brain! Does anyone know if this is a standard motor on more recent 175 saws, and anymore theories about its wayward rotation!. Cheers, Mark

Changing rotational direction on a 3 phase motor is just a case of swapping over any two phase wires.

I would not continue to run that motor on your convertor, even if it self protects from any overload it's an undesirable thing to subject your convertor to.

Thanks Chas, yes wasn't thinking 3 phase. Of course you are right , I need a bigger converter. Just thought it off that it runs and doesn't appear to be self protecting?. Also I wasn't expecting a motor that big, so I kept seeing it as HP( at least that is my excuse). Checked, and the contractor is full of sawdust and loose wires, but obviously enough to run. Mark

If/when you swap the wires to reverse the motor, do it on the motor or on the output of the starter/contactor. This will ensure that the control coil continues to be driven from the full 400v and not from the artificial phase supplied by the converter which can cause problems.

Thanks Myforman, that was what was happening initially. I sorted out which wire's supplied the coil and it ram much more quietly! I really should have read the convertor destructions more carefully as that as dwhatthey also say. It seems my 175 has been pimped, not sure how common that is? It has a 12 in blade on( very blunt and plastered in resin). On Translates advice, once I shad sorted out the contractor I checked the volts under zero load, and at ' heavy' load. It will start not maxed out (6 vs8), runs at 450 no load, and a lump of knotty oak about 6 in tall, only dropped it to 400 V? I didn't want to push it as it really is that blunt, but doesn't seem heat damaged. Peter at Translate has been very helpful throughout, I think even though it appears to cope I will upgrade to the properly speed convertor. Thanks for all the help, Mark

Latest posts

Back