16"x8" oak beams from a Victorian Mill (Advice or

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, there's a guy up here trying to sell four 5" by 5" supposedly pitch pine posts each just over 8' long for £120. Which is probably not that expensive if they really are good pitch pine.

dickm":2peo7ly9 said:
FWIW, there's a guy up here trying to sell four 5" by 5" supposedly pitch pine posts each just over 8' long for £120. Which is probably not that expensive if they really are good pitch pine.

Thanks for that.

That's ... um .. um .. £21 per cube (I'm learning :) ), without the premium applied to larger or longer pieces. It is a number I've seen around for purhasing reclaimed pitch pine beams - albeit tidied up.

I saw an "estimator" that slapped on 50% as soon as oak beams went over 5m in length. The basic number for reclaimed oak (before the 50%) seems to be around £45 before denailing and all the rest is done.

For fun, I put my rough dimensions in (8in x 16in, 5 at 10ft, 5 at 20ft) and it said that the price for reclaimed oak in "in their raw state" would be £8,000 before VAT.

Heh. I'll take that, even reduced for pitch pine.

OK. Serious again.

Realistically, I may be able to do something to recover this wood, but there's not a serious prospect of getting it indoors yet (no space, and it would be a 30-50 metre carry by hand with 10 years of undergrowth and a blocked gate in the way).

I can put wire or yard-brush clean it and put it "in stick" close to where it is now then a tarpaulin over the top - basically move the pile sideways and clean each one as it is transferred. Possibly I can hire a standalone water pressure cleaner if that would be better; we are 30m from the closest water supply and pressure would be poor.

Spacers could be scaffold planks (clearly not ideal as large contact area but I've got plently of them which are past their best for scaffolding), or perhaps fence posts, or something I buy in.

Then leave it until later in the autumn or the spring, when we've cleared some more things from around it for sensible access.

And I'll need to round up 3 or 4 mates to help move the big ones.

Would that be a good step forward?

Ferdinand

Latest posts

Back