16" maple platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a 16" maple platter I've recently turned. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Attachments

• platter maple 3 50%.jpg
    platter maple 3 50%.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 909
  • platter maple 2 50%.jpg
    platter maple 2 50%.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 909
  • platter maple 1 50%.jpg
    platter maple 1 50%.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 909
Donie,

I would have reduced the edge thickness to about 1/3 of what you have, and possibly rolled the edge over rather than a sharp line.
I have no doubt others will disagree.

HTH

Brian

The edge does not do it justice as above it is way to thick for the form you would need to take the thickness from the bottom rather than the top. Also for me I would have liked to have seen the bowl a little deeper. On the plus side you have managed to keep the quilting/ripple in it, Does not appear to have any tool marks and finish looks good too.

Here's a shot side on to show the thickness. Looks a bit thicker in the first photo. (I think so anyway, I did put thought into the thickness, it looks good to me)

Attachments

• platter maple 4 50%.jpg
    platter maple 4 50%.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 857
As Derek says it looks like you have achieved a reasonable finish that shows off the figuring but agree on the overall thickness being the killer.

Not necessarily needs to be overall thin in section but changing the form to give the visual impression of thinner with a much thinner sharp periphery I personally think looks better, as with the bowl I personally like to see such starting their flow at or below the top rim plane.

Full marks for attempting to create a piece with simple form from a relatively plain wood sample, always a challenge and one open to critique around the form as there is not outstanding wood character to shout for you.

I think when turning any item you have to consider a number of factors. mainly what does teh piece of wood/grain pattern etc dictate and what look and style do you want to achieve.
The grain pattern on your platter looks fine. The dimensions are more rustic but that is the style and if you are happy with it then fine. I'm sure that another turner might have made something different with finer edges. different design but thats all part of wood turning and styles
Its a bit like the difference between fine porcelain and quality pottery
Ian

Back