15mm Contiboard shelving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make several columns of shelving, between 21" wide verticals of the same material. I'd appreciate suggestions of how to rigidly fix it all together, but would prefer to avoid screws through, as the heads would show. 15mm is too thin to rout grooves for the shelf ends, so I'm veering toward bearers, but they'll look ugly too. As would those nasty little plastic blocks. Any suggestions, guys?

Thanks for your reply, Robin. I'd already thought of that, and it may well be the best solution in the end.

21 inches of 15mm material is going to lead to major sag isn't it? Could you run a face frame strip across, overhanging underneath but flush on top, so that you have two perpendicular grains?

Dowels would work but obviously need careful drilling. The blind hole in the vertical will not have much material left behind it so you need to beware of bursting them out when assembling. You don't need a commercial adjustable jig for a one off job, you can make your own. I'd use 6 mm dowels.

An alternative for invisibly supporting shelves is the so - called 'magic wires' - stiff wires which are bent over at the ends so they fit in holes, with a central part sliding into a stopped groove in the shelves.

I think you're going to find 15mm conti very weak over that distance - is the material choice essential?

Biscuits work well and are invisible - but that stuff is really saggy - I would , if you can , fit a full hardboard back like self assembly wardrobes use - nailed/glued.

Wickes sell 18mm melamine in 9ft lengths, if it is white you are using. You could use modesty blocks and attach a bearer to the front of the shelf to keep them hidden, which also helps with sagging. Only really works if the shelves are below the eyeline though. Otherwise, biscuits are probably as good as anything, if you have a biscuit jointer of course.

Back