14 1/2" version Holtey 98

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive had a few pms asking about the 14 1/2 “ version of Karls 98. Yes they do exist…yes they work just like a plane really should. Don’t know the costings as they are prototypes but they feel superb.
No98Frontthreequarterright-AW.jpg

No98panelplane.jpg

I

what are they called, gloats

No not one of mine.....I'll leave you as the king of gloaters!! :wink:

I have been spending serious mortgage type money recently though... :wink:

I blame chris waterhead for all this :lol:

very few have seen this 98

I cant wait to see what he has on the drawing board come to life.... :wink:

we are still on target for mid november kit launch

I
Have a good weekend...

Just once it'd be nice to see a Holtey near some wood. Taking a shaving of anything but sterilised wood is possibly asking too much...

Alf":27tlrcp3 said:
Just once it'd be nice to see a Holtey near some wood. Taking a shaving of anything but sterilised wood is possibly asking too much...
I know what you mean...those pictures are so perfect, nearly looks like a rendering instead of a photo...Karl should take photo lessons from me and then they would look real :roll: :lol:

Seriously. Would be fun to play with a few for a day. Perhaps Ian can bring a few to Philly's for the get together? Would be a good chance to get some working photos...

Take care, Mike

MikeW":31dk89qm said:
Seriously. Would be fun to play with a few for a day. Perhaps Ian can bring a few to Philly's for the get together? Would be a good chance to get some working photos...

You mean Philly hasn't got one already :roll: :whistle:

Paul

Taking a shaving of anything but sterilised wood
i take it with that reply you dont like stainless in a plane......this months GWW has a review of a 98. I havent seen it yet but i beleive Andy was'nt shaving steralised wood with it!!it just looked like it.

I

The materials don't bother me, but the presentation is just so cold and clinical. But then I'm not ever going to be one of the target audience, so nae bother. Can't comment on GWW 'cos I ain't seen it.

)
Paul Chapman":3shb7vp8 said:
MikeW":3shb7vp8 said:

You mean Philly hasn't got one already :roll: :whistle:

Paul

Paul, the Missus would kill me (slowly :twisted: ) if she found out how much money I, eh, "invest" in tools. If I started on the Holtey/SS route I dread to think of my fate :lol:
Maybe I can get Ian to sell me one of his "factory second"s.... :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Alf":1lj4j5vi said:
The materials don't bother me, but the presentation is just so cold and clinical.

I've taken them as being renders a few times, and pretty surprised it is 'real'. Sometimes, perfection is the enemy. But dang, they are nicely made.

There are some funny artifacts around the edges of the top one - maybe compression or something. Looks odd, when the photo is so 'perfect' otherwise.

Paul,
Apologies for the confusion....these are renders....as are these...i am currently at work and dont come home for a few weeks.....I posted because i got asked for some 14 1/2 piccies and these are all i have here.
just been sent a copy of GWW mag via email and they have some nice pictures of a 98 shaving wood...

MikeW ....tooo far away...you could probobly get their easier than i could....nice gesture of Philly entertaining everyone. I'd send a few planes down if i wasnt at work. :lol:

Philly....I dont do factory seconds...never did? i'm just delighted that i get the oportunity to work with a craftsmans craftsman.

These are pictures few will ever get to see and i think thats a shame...i know people here don’t like infills and some of Karls designs but i know some do and i find its nice to see craftsmanship of this calibre still thriving in the UK. The lower 14 ½ panel plane was one of his first infill planes he made....yes its a render

Detail_04.jpg

Detail_03.jpg

Render09_W_bag.jpg

I

I find the 98's a bit sterile, industrial and modernistic for my taste.But there is no denying the skillful
craftmanship and perfection in finishing that goes into making it.

Hey Ian--I kinda knew they were...

I personally enjoy Karl's work, infill or not. I have owned two infills. I love the weight, I love the feel and, of course, I love the results of one well tuned.

Karl's fit and finish is second to none--and that's aside from the meticulous attention to detail of all the components. One would be a joy to use.

The Gathering [sort of sounds like a horror film <g>] would be a treat. But sorry, even Holteys being present wouldn't hold a candle just to the fun of meeting everyone!

Take care, back to filing saws...

Mike

aw come on mike, you know the clan meeting is going to be much
valuable than filing saws. can't you convince one of the customers
to pay extra for special delivery next week???? :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

engineer one":1u30e9io said:
aw come on mike, you know the clan meeting is going to be much valuable than filing saws. can't you convince one of the customers to pay extra for special delivery next week???? :lol: :lol:

Sure...you going to lead the way? :lol:

I would in a heartbeat. Maybe Rob could package me up and mail me in time too...

Take care, Mike
who hasn't made it back to the shop yet...

Javier":1rnhajl1 said:
I find the 98's a bit sterile, industrial and modernistic for my taste.But there is no denying the skillful
craftmanship and perfection in finishing that goes into making it.

By the way, I love all his infills, and just about anything else he makes.

well of course my excuse is the weakness of the dollar, it is actually
cheaper for me to fly to you, than the other way round :?

but i'll throw a dollar in the ring :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Back