12T or 18T plunge blade for ripping hardwood etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenstx

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been sing my TS55 for sheet goods for nearly 2 years now, all has been fine.
At the weekend I had a go at cutting strips of american walnut and canadian maple, the saw really struggled.
In the end I made 5mm passes to get to depth (no more than 30mm)

Yes the blade it came with could do with a sharpen, but I dont doubt its the wrong blade for the job anyway.

So, onto the internet, seems there is a 12T panther blade and an 18T one.
12T
http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/fes ... -pw12.html
18T
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Fes ... X-20-X-18T

Will one be better or worse than the other etc?

I have not used either blade in my TS55 so can't speak from experience but since nobody has replied I will give you my opinion.

The Panther blade is designed for ripping down the grain, it has obviously fewer teeth and a more aggressive geometry so will cut quicker and easier with the grain. I guess the cut won't be as clean but I presume you will be planing it up so this won't matter.

If it is just for ripping I would go with the Panther.

If you haven't already check out the Festool Owners Group, I'm sure there will be pages about it on there.

Doug

I have the 12T one linked above and, for rip cuts in solid wood, the difference between it and the 48T crosscut blade is night and day. As Doug points out, the quality of the cut isn't nearly as clean (it's not bad mind you) but it doesn't take much to sort out, you're not taxing the motor nearly as much and you're warm and fuzzy knowing you're using the right blade for the job ;)

Yup. At their ts55 blades have the same kerf of 2.2mm. I think the blades for the battery versions are all the same too but thinner (1.8?) to save power so it's worth watching out for. I could be wrong about the battery ones being thinner though... that may be the ksc saws.

Another for the 12 tooth Panther blade.

It is perfect for rip cuts and as Nelsun rightly points out, the difference between the standard 48 tooth blade is staggering. I haven't tried the 18 tooth as I am delighted with the 12 but I suspect that it is not as aggressive. Mind you, whilst the finish off the 12 tooth is no where near as good as the 48 it is an excellent first finish saw.

Ripping with the 48 is a PIA and it doesn't do the motor many favours.

Pat

Roger that, Will acquire a Panther ASAP and get my 48T off to ProSharp to be dragged back to life :)
Cheers All

Nelsun":q7af7c52 said:
Yup. At their ts55 blades have the same kerf of 2.2mm. I think the blades for the battery versions are all the same too but thinner (1.8?) to save power so it's worth watching out for. I could be wrong about the battery ones being thinner though... that may be the ksc saws.

It's the same 2.2mm kerf on the battery ones too.

Latest posts

Back