12 pc woodcarving set from Rutlands?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superunknown

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Has anybody bought and tried this set of carving chisels from Rutlands. They look very good for the price. :)

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKWK11

DKWK11.jpg

£29.95

I could do with a good all round set, so something like this could be just the job.

For that price you could give them a try and send them back if they are no good ( it might take a little time to get them sharp).
I will also be posting on how to make some from old brace bits :)

I have bought some cheap carving tools before and still have some of them today, I have been getting my set together ( about 80 now ) for about 21 years.
If the steel is no good you can send them back but under £30 is a small out lay to give them a try or if you start spending money on Addis, Marples or Ashley Iles it can get expensive. So it gives a beginner some where to start plus it can take time to learn how to get a sharp edge :)

Also Rutlands are a good company, I dont think they would be selling rubish but I have been wronge before

Colin C":1arua45g said:
Also Rutlands are a good company, I dont think they would be selling rubish but I have been wronge before

I take your point, but using rubbish tools can also be very frustrating and put you off.
They do look very nice though, I do like the handles, solid walnut even.
But what it will come down to in the end is the quality of the cutting edge.

mudman":28n4v5x5 said:
I take your point, but using rubbish tools can also be very frustrating and put you off.
They do look very nice though, I do like the handles, solid walnut even.
But what it will come down to in the end is the quality of the cutting edge.
I agree too but they is no harm in giving them a try and sendind them back if they are no good, I might give them a try myself.
Hi Nola,
I am not sure where you are but I can give them a try for you and send them to you sharp IF thats ok with you ( you will have to cost of post as well but sharpening will be free )

UKTony":3uq1fm3g said:
Colin

I picked these up at the Ally Pally show for £39.95....The only thing i have ever carved is the Turkey however they seem good value for money for the odd jobs i want to do

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?p=RPCV12&a=i
Thank UKTony, but I dont need many more ( have about 80 in my set \:D/ but it has taken my 20 years to collect).
It was if Nina wanted them :)

Thanks for all the replys guys, and to Colin C for his very kind offer. I have given it some thought and decided I would rather pay more and get a set I know is good and will last me a good long time.

When you consider its around 2.50 a chisel and that the handles are walnut, I doubt that leaves a lot for the all important business end.

Steve :D

Alf has already pointed to my previous post on this subject. I would just emphasis that the shape and thickness of the tool is important. Good tools have thin cross-sections and this is particularly so in small sized tools. Thick tools prevent one using the cutting edge properly in fine work or confined areas. Pfeil and Flexcut are notable in modern tools in having very nice thin sections.

The chisels pictured look more like modified carpentry chisels than carving chisels (for example I have over a hundred chisels from several makers and of different vintages but not one has a socketed handle/blade).

Old carving chisels can often be used even when they appear to be in very poor condition - they are easily rehandled and because chisels are generally sharpened with a double bevel, even corrosion pits do not rule out getting a good edge (unlike a woodworking chisel) as the grinding/sharpening process can often remove these. A boot fair is a good place to start looking for old ones that can be good but also cheap.

waterhead37":3m6febhj said:
Old carving chisels can often be used even when they appear to be in very poor condition - they are easily rehandled and because chisels are generally sharpened with a double bevel, even corrosion pits do not rule out getting a good edge (unlike a woodworking chisel) as the grinding/sharpening process can often remove these.
Oh really; hadn't thought of that. I have a whole box of carving tools in, erm, less than A1 state shall we say but assumed any carver would turn up his or her nose even at bargain prices. Might have to dig 'em out and put up a For Sale List... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1xte4urg said:
Oh really; hadn't thought of that. I have a whole box of carving tools in, erm, less than A1 state shall we say but assumed any carver would turn up his or her nose even at bargain prices. Might have to dig 'em out and put up a For Sale List... :-k

Cheers, Alf
Hi Alf,
If you do, I would be intersted :)
Hi waterhead37, the carboot is a good place to look but around where I am people can want to much for what they have some of the time :( and most of the carvers that I have seen use one bevel ( just a thougth :) )

Colin C":2xbcqo12 said:
( and most of the carvers that I have seen use one bevel ( just a thougth :) )

Colin,
I think it probably depends on how one was taught or has learnt to carve. I started by going on a course with Chris Pye and he is very keen on double bevels. However, these really need quite a bit more effort in hand sharpening (on the inside bevel) than many folk wish to do. I think the time saved by just using a single bevel and a powered grinder/buffing wheel which one oftens sees is offset at least in part by the ability to use the double bevelled tool "upside down" thus saving time hunting for and changing tools.

I use mainly hand methods because I find it much easier to preserve the important corners of tools this way rather than using powered sharpening systems so the double bevel is perhaps less of a hassle for me than for folk who mainly use powered systems

I have to say my carving experience is limited and I would not criticise any method if it produces the desired results!

Hi waterhead37,
I have got you wrong the first time :oops: , I use a double bevel as well ( I have seen some with two bevels on one side ).
You use one bevel on each side, I also find it is good to use my tools both ways :wink:

Latest posts

Back