Quantcast

11/32" Brad point bit in UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

PeteCo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

can anyone tell me where I could source a good quality 11/32nd brad point wood bit in the UK? - its a specific size I need to drill tuner holes in a couple of guitars I am building - but this size bit seems like proverbial rocking horse poo!

I don't really want to use the easily obtainable 8mm size and ream out if I can avoid it. I'd rather have an 11/32nd bit for all future needs.

Any advice much appreciated.
cheers
Pete

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
If the exact tool you need for a particular task isn't available commercially, there are two choices. Either do the job a different way using something that is available, or make the tool you need.

In this case, regrind the tip of an 11/32" jobber drill to something like a lip and spur drill. Corner of a grinding wheel, careful touch, make sure the back of the cutting edge clears the workpiece. Grind, try out on a piece of scrap, modify until it works cleanly and drills to size.

(If you can't find an 11/32" drill, 8.7mm is about 0.001" under, which should be near enough.)

PeteCo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

trying to visualise exactly how you mean!
I don't have a grinding wheel, but could I do this with hand files do you think?

I'll see if I can find a YT video on adapting drill bits in the way you describe.

Cheers
Pete

worn thumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be astonished if you actually find such a beast.An 11/32 jobber pattern might be a lot easier to come by but will have the tendency to tear a couple of fragments out of the wood as it enters.The possibility of modifying the cutting edge to vertical might just allow it to work and I would do just that myself if I needed to get the job done.All you have to do is create a half millimeter or so of vertical (or very nearly so) surface where there is normally an aggressive entry angle for the flute.It can be done with a stationary grinder if you have such a thing or you can rub the original cutting edge on an oilstone.

I have attempted to upload a sketch showing the principle.It is a good bit easier than trying to grind a lip and spur tip.

Attachments

PeteCo

Established Member
Reaction score
cheers Folks - I have a few options now.

just ordered a few 8.7mm standard bits to have a go at reshaping first .
Worst case, I know where to get the Fisch bit

Ta
Pete

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't you "just" use a lip & spur bit (Imp or Met) sized as near to 11/32 as you can possibly get and then use an 11/32 jobbers drill to slightly open the hole? OR an 11/32 reamer?

PeteCo

Established Member
Reaction score
So for fun I tried out the diy brad point approach using my Dremel and drill press on an old knackered drill.
It worked very well on a 10mm bit, with a nice clean entry hole into some mahogany offcuts - so when the jobber bits arrive I'll have a go at making a 11/32" brad bit myself.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Cheers
Pete