10.8v cordless impact drivers Bosch / durofix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnerbc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone any experience of these tools? I am looking to buy a compact lightweight impact driver as my existing Bosch Impact driver is too cumbersone for working in tight spaces. I have seen these 2 advertised on ebay / Google but haven't found any reviews or , relatively unbiased comments.
Regards,
Barry.

The following recent threads discuss the Impact driver and also the drill driver:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23046
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23089

General impression of both is good, I have the drill driver and I like it.

Several places have an offer on at the moment whereby you get a free drill driver body (no batteries) with the impact driver - if you are going that route, be aware that there is a newer model of the drill driver (called "Mk 2") and some/most of these offers provide the older version only (the differences in the new and old versions, that I am aware of, are: a bit holder on new version, brake on new version, max rpm of 500 on new version vs 400 on old version).

The first link Pooka posted was by myself, although I've not had much time to test the GDR (impact driver), but my first impressions are very good.

The build quality is excellent, it's solidly put together, and gives the impression that it's pretty much bullet proof. I did try and give it a bit of a workout, driving 60mm screws into oak with no pilot, and it didn't flinch, what more can I say.

I also got a free GSR drill driver (Mk 1 unfortunately - but the changes are only small) body for free, but I've yet to try it out in anger, seems well put together though - it'll be quite handy to have on the bench for small jobs.

The best deal I found was at www.toolbox.co.uk for £120 including VAT, have a look around however, as there might be better deals about. The service from toolbox was excellent by the way, the drills arrived next day despite the website showing that they were out of stock, and that there was three to arrive in stock within a week.

Buy one you'll not be dissapointed.

Aled

pooka / Aled,
Thanks for your replies and links. I looked at the Bosch but in the end decided to bid for a Durofix 10.8v impact driver on Ebay. I found out a bit about the Taiwanese manufacture ( mobiletron Electronics Ltd) from Google and sites in the USA and from Concept Distribution ( the UK agents) and Durofix seemed OK . Also because it is a new to UK brand no one else bid so I got it for £90 plus postage. Just got it today and it seems very well made. Comes with decent hard plastic case with an inner box holding a set of bits augers and a spare set of motor brushes. I have only tried it out on a couple of large screws to see if it had enough muscle .Just completely buried a 75mm screw in my garage door frame. Seems almost as powerful as my larger and heavier Bosch 14.4v impact driver. The drill in the same range looks good, just wish they would sell it naked. The person I bought mine from has some more for sale on Ebay, just search on Durofix .
Regards,
Barry.

I have both the 10.8v bosch impact driver and "normal" screwdriver.

The impact is a beast for it's size, and it's the one I reach for most of the time. I got it with a 'free' torch, which actually has been surprisingly handy in my current home cinema construction.

The impact driver obviously doesn't have variable torque settings.

I'd definitely buy them again!

All the 10.8v Bosch stuff is really nice to use, compact and lightweight. The torch is very good.

can i ask a daft question : what does an impact driver do that a normal driver doesn't ? i.e. what does the 'impacting' give you ?

More torque, and less reaction.

edit: and more control (without relying on a clutch setting)

Jake":1plztmu9 said:
More torque, and less reaction.

edit: and more control (without relying on a clutch setting)

does that mean people use them in preference to an ordinary drill/driver ?

I have very very rarely used a drill for driving since getting my first impact driver about five years ago - I'd guess at twice (when I was trying to be quiet, impact drivers are bloody noisy).

Jake":3prhil8e said:
I have very very rarely used a drill for driving since getting my first impact driver about five years ago - I'd guess at twice (when I was trying to be quiet, impact drivers are bloody noisy).

yet another case of me learning a new thing every day ! have just bought an ordinary drill driver aswell :(

That's OK, a drill-driver does do both, so it's a better place to start anyway. An impact driver won't drill really, it's purely for driving screws, so it's a bit of a niche tool.

Back