1/3 and 1/2 sheet sanders v round ro sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, after a couple of years of putting it off I need to replace my knackered diy sanders. I think I even posted a thread or two about it years ago - nothing like putting something off :)

I see very few using 1/3 or 1/2 sheet sanders being used these days, lots and lots of round ro sanders tho.
Apart from one handed use what benefits are there for the round sanders?
How many of you are also using the sheet sanders and for what particular jobs?

In wondering..

I use both. I find the disc sanders are better for quick stock removal as they are much more aggressive than the rectangular sheet sanders. I use my 1/3 and 1/2 sheet sanders (yes I have both) for finer work and a quick pass over any marks left by the disc sander.

A good question and one I've often wondered about myself. Although I have two (cheap and cheerful) 1/4 sheet orbital sanders. They've never seen the light of day since buying a Metabo 450 random orbit sander a few years ago. I couldn't figure out when a 1/4 sheet sander would be preferable to a R.O. sander. The only obvious thing I can think of is getting into corners.
I too would be interested to know from other woodworkers in what situations a rectangular sander is a better option.

I originally got a makita random orbital sander, but have since added the makita belt sander and finish sander. In my view, they each serve a distinct purpose :

The ROS is the work horse. It allows you to sand pieces of all sizes and very easily change grits. The Dust extraction is also really good on it, and it's reasonable to keep accurate. One of the main things is that it doesn't vibrate your hand to pieces after hours of sanding. The downside is that it's hard to sand corners / right angle joints

The belt sander is the beast, able to remove large amounts of material like when you need to flatten panel glue ups. The downside is that it's easy to get waves if you're not careful about keeping even pressure / coverage.

The finish sander is my latest addition, as I wanted something small to be able to sand corners or thin stock like aprons / rails once a piece has been assembled.

However, if I had to choose just one to keep, I'd choose the ROS.

I do a lot of sanding, 95% of which is evenly split between a 150mm RO and a 1/3 sheet orbital. The rest is mostly gear-driven orbital (Rotex) with a tiny amount of belt sander. Horses for courses; 1/2 sheet sanders were often used for large flat areas where the RO now shines, gear-driven orbital sanders can match belt sanders for aggression, but with a finer finish, and 1/4 or 1/3 sheet orbital sanders excel where light-weight (and square corners) matter most e.g. non-horizontal surfaces or board edges.

So it's likely a question of whatever works best, for the work you're doing,

Cheers, Pete

Hi all, thanks!

The sheet sander isn't dead after all :)

The majority of jobs I have first are more rough to medium work, I think a big dual mode ros will be first port of call.
Eventually a small ros and a new 1/2 or 1/3 sheet sander will follow, cash allowing.

Had to stop myself buying the metabo paint stripper, maybe later... =P~

Cheers

Latest posts

Back