1.1 - Wadkin RS Lathe ¦¦ Elephants Foot + Tool Rest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would avoid powder coating. Any subsequent damage is not easy to repair and any moisture will eventually get under the thin plastic coat and lift it, as will oil. Good old paint is far better, and cheaper too.
Yep, I've been looking into it in last couple of days and it's a no bueno option for cast iron and it's inherit properties (cracking with excessive heat et al).

It'll be case of paint stripper and/or electrolysis (for smaller pieces), followed by etch primer and the coat(s) of paint. Speaking of which and me being a believer that there's no such thing as a silly question, for cast iron, normal metal paint? is there something better?

Asking for a friend... :)

Plus Gas every time on small stuff. If you need to soak then I'm with Deema diesel or paraffin. I use evaporust for little bits, just find it easier to chuck them in a jar.

Yep, I have PlusGas on order for a weekend job. I also ordered a impact screwdriver and the widest flathead hex bit I could find, hopefully it'll do the job.

For really big stubborn slotted screws I have in the past used a metal chisel, the type with a hex shaft. Usually have quite a wide head that can be ground to suit the slot, then a spanner on the shaft. And for paint I am a big fan of Paragon. Very hard wearing and easy to apply, and comes in a massive variety of colours including most of the original manufacturers ones.

For really big stubborn slotted screws I have in the past used a metal chisel, the type with a hex shaft. Usually have quite a wide head that can be ground to suit the slot, then a spanner on the shaft.
Really good idea, thank you. I have several chisels I can grind to suit. This will be the next option if the impact driver and/or PlusGas does do the trick. Thank you.

And for paint I am a big fan of Paragon. Very hard wearing and easy to apply, and comes in a massive variety of colours including most of the original manufacturers ones.
Wowzers!

I didn't know Paragon existed, but expensive is understating it, has it got fairy dust in it? :)

First trail etch primer has arrived, it'll be up to @Mrs R to pick which colour she wants for the whole setup out of this.

Again appreciate the guidance.

Weekly update,

I'll probably won't be able to manage everything in...

We left it with the Tool Rest Housing (@Mrs R has established the convention for parts naming, it might possibly change if/when I have a proper look at the manual) in the dip.

Baterry Charger.JPG

After 72h, dial reads zero, which means it's conducted/processed all the rust it could, at this point one enters the law of diminishing returns.

Dip_End.JPG

The beauty of electrolysis (with bicarbonate of soda for conduction et al) is revealed, all the paint is literally just flacking/pealing off,

Paint peel.JPG

After some initial scrubby scrubby it on the vice for some more arduous attending to,

Grip Jaw.JPG

Using some of these, (from here, I have to say the diversity and built of these are quite good considering the price) I got in the hard to get to places.
scrubbies.JPG

Difference when we start the process,

Comparison scrubby.JPG

and we end up with ( I also used a bench grinder with a wire wheel attachment),

I love the cast iron patina,

Finish 1.JPG

Finish 2.JPG

Finish 3.JPG

Finish 4.JPG

Moving on to the tightening lever(s),

Small lever pre.JPG

Big lever (this tightens the tool rest housing to the elephants foot),

big lever pre.JPG

and voila,

All finished.JPG

Decision was made that the levers we would be left as they are, as we quite like the grey gun metal look and we would only paint the casing/housing.

I forgot to take pictures when @Mrs R finish taping the piece, so at this point we've already etched (with this),

etching 1.JPG

etching 2.JPG

annnnnddd the final paint, (we used Paragon Hammered Finish - Mid Blue, with this tool)

We learnt a few things in this process,
  1. Do a light spray/coat, in other words layer up.
  2. Paint goes frikin everywhere so we'll probably have to think up of a tent scenario inside the garage.

Paint 1.JPG

Paint 3.JPG
Paint 2.JPG

Paint 4.JPG

Right time to get ready for work... more to come...

I have always applied the Paragon paint with a small brush for fiddly bits, then a 4 inch foam roller. Much less messy, and wastes less paint. Never used the hammer finish, but same process works ok with Hammerite. If you wrap the roller in a sandwich bag to exclude all air then you can keep on using it for several days.

In the last episode of "Restore my tool rest", we had just wire brushed said tool but were facing a dilemma on how to safely remove the screws,

Well my friends, the good news, we gots them out!

After a combination of,

The result you may ask?

01. First Screw Out.JPG

Ta...dah...

02. second screw.JPG

After some cleaning, degreasing and bench wire brush action,

03. Wirebrush 1.JPG

04. Wirebrush 2.JPG

Gym calls... more to come, probably tomorrow at some point.

I have always applied the Paragon paint with a small brush for fiddly bits, then a 4 inch foam roller. Much less messy, and wastes less paint. Never used the hammer finish, but same process works ok with Hammerite. If you wrap the roller in a sandwich bag to exclude all air then you can keep on using it for several days.
And put it in the fridge if swmbo lets you.

Apologies for the delay chaps, but someone arrived...

20240421.JPG

It's been interesting...

Anyhu... back to manly things :)

Tool Rest, ahh yes... I just managed to separate the two.

Now comes the prep for painting et al, @Mrs R decided she didn't want the rest itself painted (and rightly so) so the only thing to prep and make ready was the holder.

However, we needed to deal with this,

Holder Front - Defect.JPG

So, diamond stone (400 / 1000 grit) to the rescue...

diamon + stone.JPG

After about 1 maybe 2 hours...

diamon + stone 2.JPG

Now comes etching & painting, Resulting in....

Mount Painted.JPG

Mount Painted back.JPG

Which gave us...

final 1.JPG

final 2.JPG

Right... back to the main foot :)

Hello,

Tool Rest Housing got the final final coat,

Final.JPG

Right moving on to the main foot...

I used, Nitromors to start stripped what seem to be 3 different coats of paint, I had to do this twice, it had that much paint on it.

Strip 1.JPG

Second coat...

Strip 2.JPG

Now, the tools of paint removal :)

Tools 1.JPG

Final result...

Strip 3.JPG

Some time went by and etching was in order, again the same etch I used before with the other parts,

But before that, some tape had to be used for covering the holes and parts that will had metal on metal rubbing.

I also placed the foot on top of a trolly so I could roll it in and out of the garage with ease.

tape.JPG

Etching,

etching 1.JPG

And today @Mrs R finished the job with the same paint we've been using.

paint 1.JPG

And that it...

Next up, Banjo!

Back