078 Manual

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Alf, thats better than what I came up with on a search.
I have just bought a 778 on ebay and just wondered what the diffrences are between a 078 and a 778 faithfull

SDP,

I think the 778 was the improved 078. The improvement being the twin rods for the fence, making the fence rigid and stopping it drooping.

I am sure Alf or BugBear will correct this if I am wrong. :D

Thanks for clearing that up, it was a bit confusing when I done a google image search and seeing a Record 078 and a 778.

I purchased a Faithfull 778 and it is exactly like the Record even the screws are the same ,mind you this is the newer type Recrord as from the images of the older 778 there is a machining difference being in this example
1a.jpg

The rod holes and the bed for the iron are machined flat.

But in this example of the newer type

3a.jpg

Just the edge of the sole is machined, just like on my Faithfull.

I paid £31 with delivery costs new from e bay, if anyone wants the link to the seller please pm me

Cheers

Wot's the quality of the FAITHFUL like? My tongue is somewhere round my knees, lusting after a Record 778, but my pocket is dried up and shriveled - even the EBay prices are out. Alf posted a raspberry about Faithful quality some time ago, but it wasn't on experience, but rather looks? So....I MIGHT just scrape up the shekels for a Faithful if you reckon it's the cat's pyjamas, bee's knees and dog's wedding tackle.....Comments purleese!

Sam

SammieQ":klf4j1h7 said:
Alf posted a raspberry about Faithful quality some time ago, but it wasn't on experience, but rather looks?
When? Where? Never did any such thing. Times and dates, please. [-(

It might be worth pointing out that, although the #778 has the optimum in desirable features, it doesn't mean the others don't work. To be honest the single fence rod really isn't an issue unless you're in sash fillister config, with the plane cutting on the far side of the work from the fence. I have a Woden 2 rod that rarely sees the light of day simply 'cos the single rod Marples is the one at the front of the cupboard and does the job quite adequately. So although, yes, I will talk up the benefits of two rods and such, don't let it stop you having any other type of rebate plane at all. It'd be a bit like saying you won't get any plane unless you can afford a Holtey (as an extreme example).

Cheers, Alf

Alf, I didn't 'save' it to my burgeoning My Documents folder, so I can't give you chapter and verse. That said, I DO remember the context, which was something along the lines of:

"Was prospecting in a store...for something else... spotted (some) Faithful plane.....didn't think much of the quality compared to..."

The post was in relation to another brand and model number entirely, nowt to do with 778's of whatever vintage, or purveyer; I took away from your post the feeling that you were not impressed by Faithful tools. THAT is why I arsked the question wot I did; i.e. now that a member of the forum actually has the metal object in his grasp, "does it cut the mustard?" -or ash, oak, whatever.

Now, there is no way that I am going to set out to offend, inflame or deprecate someone whose (who's?) experience of hand tools is so much wider than mine. If I have misquoted, maligned or mis-took you in any way, I will eat a slice of Humble Pie of proportions that would put Desperate Dan's cow pie to shame. Here, on this forum, in spades, publicly, for everyone to see.

Can we still be friends?????

Sam
I

Sorry, Sam, lost the winking smilie somewhere in there - I wasn't really offended but I couldn't honestly think when I'd said anything about Faithful planes at all. I may well have had a decko at one of those baize-lined box sets though, now you come to mention it, and wasn't much grabbed by the quality. Mind you there's fewer areas to be mucked up on a rebate plane - in the same way a modern Stanley #80 isn't such a disasterous buy as a modern Stanley #5. Odds are all the Faithful planes can be made to work, that I don't dispute, just the aggravation created in use may be disproportionately high. Heck, that Groz block plane I got works, it's just not a particularly pleasant experience. :(

Anyway take back the Humble Pie PDQ - save it for another day, unless I can have some for neglecting to check the dryness of my, for wont of a better word, "wit". :D

Cheers, Alf

Thank you MikeW! It was Irwin not Faithful then?

Apologies Alf, my cerebral material is definitely atrophying at greater rate than suspected. Got a spoon?

:D :D :D

Sam

MikeW":7unzftpn said:
Not too ghastly... :wink:
"Not too" anything is a paean of praise! F'rinstance:

"The lever cap itself isn’t too hideous to behold" from the Scrub review.

"It’s not actually too hideous to behold, by and large" from the Low Angle smoother.

Okay, so I couldn't find an earlier example of not too ghastly, but you get the gist. :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just having fun at your expense, Alf :lol:

Really, a 78/778 is such a simple plane that I would buy any of the new ones for use if a vintage one couldn't be had for less if and when I needed/wanted one.

Single or double rod--whichever I could find. I like the double rod in principle, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one with a single rod if that's what I could find.

As it is, I like wood moving fillisters better, which is why I sold my 78 eventually.

Take care, Mike

Alf":13avyxno said:
It might be worth pointing out that, although the #778 has the optimum in desirable features

Cheers, Alf

Decent - yes; Optimum - not quite. 2 words; "skewed blade"

BugBear (with the same Woden #78, but also wooden sash and moving fillisters)

Back