Yew - How it looks from log to turned item

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
This is picking up from a wood id thread where there was some (entirely reasonable) confusion over whether or not a piece was Yew (versus Laburnum, walnut etc). I just happen to have a few pics showing some yew being processed right through from the log so thought it might help to have a few pics in the library for future reference.

Attachments

• resize batch1.jpg
    resize batch1.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,254
  • resize batch2.jpg
    resize batch2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,254
  • resize batch3.jpg
    resize batch3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • resize batch5.jpg
    resize batch5.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,254
  • resize batch6.jpg
    resize batch6.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,253
  • resize batch7.jpg
    resize batch7.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,253
  • resize batch8.jpg
    resize batch8.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • resize batch9.jpg
    resize batch9.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,253
  • resize batch10.jpg
    resize batch10.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • resize batch14.jpg
    resize batch14.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,253
A brilliant thread Bob. Very helpful to wood ID deadbeats like me.
Now go and do it with Walnut, Elm, etc etc.

how green is the timber? I note that it is very orange, which steered me away from yew in the discussion that you mention. A lovely looking timber- i keep trying to source a board or two locally, but no joy so far.

Grahamshed":39qi12ne said:
A brilliant thread Bob. Very helpful to wood ID deadbeats like me.
Now go and do it with Walnut, Elm, etc etc.

If only...what would I give to have a library of all the possible candidates for a dark heartwood, lets just think...we could have Cuban Mahogany.......Rosewood........ nice bit of Ebony wouldn't go amiss.....bit of wenge maybe......Lignum vitae....purpleheart........dream dream

Thank you Bob ,although not involved anymore it always good to see something that may be of help to those that are . =D>

Such a library is the only way I am going to learn this stuff ( though being colour blind doesn't help :) ) I might start trawling the site for similar type pics and store them.

Actually, on a similar note. I pass lots of fallen trees wcwet time I visit the inlays. I need a book to help identify them as well.

marcros":1pownuv4 said:
how green is the timber? I note that it is very orange, which steered me away from yew in the discussion that you mention. A lovely looking timber- i keep trying to source a board or two locally, but no joy so far.

It had been felled about 3 months when these pics were taken so quite green still.

Good idea Mick. You know it strikes me there is a small niche market for a book that starts with the tree and goes through to the wood and how it might be finished from a cabinet maker and turners perspective. Also a joinery grade section for the construction industry maybe. Most books focus on one or other of the aspects of trees and their use. Methinks people like this forum might like to see the entire value chain in one volume. I appreciate that would be huge so maybe in a number of naturally grouped modules. Just thinking out loud.

Tree to finished wood, including details /pics of the leaves and bark etc would be a mammoth undertaking in book form but should be relatively simple on a website..... Certainly food for thought.

Grahamshed":1o21di1u said:
Tree to finished wood, including details /pics of the leaves and bark etc would be a mammoth undertaking in book form but should be relatively simple on a website
Give us a shout when you're done then Graham. :D

It does occur to me that almost every day or at least every few days we get a "wood id" post. Is there not a case for a sticky that does indeed build into a library of genuine photographic images of those species we tend to encounter. I reckon within 6 months we'd have the lions share in the inventory save maybe a few more esoteric exotics that serve the turning industry.

The benefits are obvious...point all new enquiries to that useful knowledge resource.

Random Orbital Bob":38gp9q6c said:
Is there not a case for a sticky that does indeed build into a library of genuine photographic images of those species we tend to encounter

Hi

Ideally I think it would need to be a sort of gallery to be of real use, where you could view multiple images at once whilst deciding which one(s) are similar to the one needing identification.

Regards Mick

Tazmaniandevil":3voyxujn said:
Grahamshed":3voyxujn said:
Tree to finished wood, including details /pics of the leaves and bark etc would be a mammoth undertaking in book form but should be relatively simple on a website
Give us a shout when you're done then Graham. :D
Seriously thinking about it. An interesting retirement project.

I have a really good book on wood ID that I have found quite useful - it's titled 'What wood is that?' by Herbert L Edlin. Contains a load of actual wood samples and has excellent descriptions of the various properties and uses of different woods. It only covers 40 different species, but it's very detailed. Unfortunately Amazon are out of stock, but I'm sure you should be able to get it online somewhere?

Latest posts

Back