Work Sharp media alternatives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
Work Sharp WS3000:
Given the prices for 'original' replacement discs is absolutely absurd, I'm wondering what people have found the most cost effective alternative.

As a sufferer of tendonitis, I can't really continue to sharpen chisels the way I have in the past (combo of diamond coated plates, scary sharpening, water stones or welsh slate depending on which way the wind is blowing) so I never nevered a Work Sharp WS3000 which has been totally unbelievable (saving days and days) at re-profiling the large stack of my father-in-law's old chisels and my car boot finds.

I'm damn near through the pack of abrasives that came with the unit - not surprising given the level of remedial re-profiling necessary in the stack of tools I have here - there were some dreadful examples of multi-angle shenanigans, both in profile and off-skew, not to mention some dubiously made blades with backs that challenge the term 'flat'.

While there's some good info on the forum here, much of it is from 2012 and the like - the market has likely changed so I don't feel guilty about re-asking this – I searched 'forum' only and sorted by 'date'.

Check out stumpy nubs site he did a vid using mdf as an alternative along with sanding disks and honing pastes

Droogs":1p1dey0h said:
Check out stumpy nubs site he did a vid using mdf as an alternative along with sanding disks and honing pastes

Thanks for that droogs, looks interesting, though I don't know that I've got the kit to make really neat MDF circles (no bandsaw ... hmmm).

Have you used the MDF disc thing yourself?

Edit: Suggestions for McGyvering neat MDF circles welcome. Not a thing I've ever attempted.

If you have a router with a fence with bars then it's not a problem. just fit the bars in the base and at the other end instead of the fence use a bit of thick ply thin bit at the bottom with holes for the bars to fit in securely drilled in the wide face and stick a nail in the centre botton edge, give it a quick sharpen with a file and voila a quick router compass and then just use a straight bit

Check out the DMT plates for the Worksharp 3000 https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/ben ... -system-1/ -not cheap but they do last and the coarse was aggressive enough to grind. I got mine on Amazon USA and had them shipped and delivered cheaper than the UK supplier. And/or try MDF and some DMT paste. Currently I only use the paste for honing.

Back