Wood & metal project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
Having persuaded Father Christmas to deliver a MIG welder, it seemed to be a 'good idea' to make the first project to be one for SWMBO.

The idea was to support 10 troughs of spring bulbs at first floor level across the front of the house which is about 7 metres wide.

Firstly weld up some brackets from 30 x 30 x 3mm steel angle having cut all the parts on the bandsaw and drilled all the holes for screws.

IMG_0998.jpg

A total of 12 were made and sent off to the galvanisers to be baptised by total immersion in molten zinc. I was determined that they would not rust for a long time hence drilling all the holes before the treatment.

IMG_1008.jpg

Each bracket is bolted into the house wall with M10 bolts and a stainless steel screw towards the lower end to hold the bracket away from the brickwork so rainwater is not retained by capilliary action.

All fitted to the wall. The black tube that is just visible is an extension to the automatic irrigation system that we use elsewhere for hanging baskets. this is on timeswitch and pressurised to 1 bar. Each trough will have its own metering nozzle matched to the size of the planter.

IMG_1007.jpg

Now to fit the wood. 50 x 30 mm sawn iroko. A total of 6 lengths 6.6m long. The joints made with galvanised joining plates and stainless steel screws.

Two length on the horizontal parts of the brackets to carry the planters and four lengths to keep them in place and distract the eye from the bracketry.

IMG_1010.jpg

The planters were planted with about 120 daffodil bulbs last November.

The overall view

IMG_1009.jpg

Now all we need is the blooming flowers
:wink: :lol: :lol:

Not much woodwork but a fun project nevertheless.

Bob

That looks well engineered Bob. You've got the hang of welding quickly. Aesthetically, I think I'd have like more of the iroko slats.

Is it just daffs in there? Or has SWMBO been cunning and planted summer and autumn sprouting bulbs in there also?

Thanks Tom,

I tend to agree about the slats. The gaps are equal to the slat width.
If I had my time again I would have used 5 or 6 across the 350mm height.

I won't change it now because new holes in the steel would violate the galvanising.

The welding is not too pretty but it is strong!

The head gardener's plan is to have a second set of troughs planted up with summer plants ready for the end of the daffs when the no doubt the garden labourer will be called upon to swap them over.

Bob

Excellent work Bob.

You've managed to make a substantial addition very pleasing to the eye but, more importantly, you've made the Head Gardener happy so that must be good for future tool acquisitions (but don't wait too long or it will take another project to renew the glow).

Brendan

Nice job Bob,
Must have been a right pipper getting those bolt holes behind the tiles. How's the gas working out? I've just gone through the half full bottle that I bought with my new welder so I'm casting around again for prices and deals, it all seems expensive to me.
Looking forward to the next project,
T

TEO":1dthyalj said:
Nice job Bob,
Must have been a right pipper getting those bolt holes behind the tiles. How's the gas working out? I've just gone through the half full bottle that I bought with my new welder so I'm casting around again for prices and deals, it all seems expensive to me.
Looking forward to the next project,
T

I cheated! The bolts were fitted before I hung the tiles - several years ago.

I've used about 1/3 of a gas bottle so far and the pain of the cost has gone now!

Bob

Nice cheat, if only we were all able to plan so far ahead.
What's next on your agenda?
Best wishes,
T

TEO":xa9zp9i2 said:
Nice cheat, if only we were all able to plan so far ahead.
What's next on your agenda?
Best wishes,
T

Not so much advance planning as very tardy completion of the house exterior upgrade!

First project is a Holiday - next week off to Cyprus on Saturday.
When I get back is design & build MKII horizontal power feed to my milling machine followed by the building of a fabricated sheet metal box and pan folder. I always had the use of one when I was working and a couple of times I've had to call in favours to go and use it recently so now is the time to build one. Some of the parts are one order from a laser profiling co and should be ready after the holiday.
Straightaway after specifying my welder with some extra jobs in mind, I will be pushing it to weld 12mm plate!!

There will be bound to be some wood and electronic projects as well to keep the balance right and the garden labourer is bound to be called upon.

Regards

Bob

Nice job :)

Did you get a proper mig or one of these gasless fluxed wire ones?

I've done plenty of mig welding in the past but can't justify getting one for home. The gasless sort are cheaper but can't help wondering if they are any good. I have a stick welder buzz box thing but it is so hit and miss and generally horrible it puts me off trying to weld stuff!

This looks pretty good but I bet it will look even better with summer planting with some trailing plants.
You must post a pic when in full bloom!

regards

adzeman":20tbc50w said:
This looks pretty good but I bet it will look even better with summer planting with some trailing plants.
You must post a pic when in full bloom!

regards

Will do

SWMBO has a plan for a second set of troughs with trailing begonias in the foreground and some thing else to be decided behind.

I am just the gardeners labourer - none of my fingers are the slightest bit green but instead usually sport a mixture of wooden and metal splinters plus oil!

Bob

RobertMP":3az1oqe9 said:
Nice job :)

Did you get a proper mig or one of these gasless fluxed wire ones?

I've done plenty of mig welding in the past but can't justify getting one for home. The gasless sort are cheaper but can't help wondering if they are any good. I have a stick welder buzz box thing but it is so hit and miss and generally horrible it puts me off trying to weld stuff!

I bought a semi-pro Mig welder and a cylinder of CO2/Argon mix - so called garage gas.
I splashed out a bit and spent a little of my pension lump sum on a Portamig 185 - believe it or not - a British made welder. It has a very wide range of voltages which should allow welding of very thin panels up to about 6mm thick.
I'm very pleased with it to date and would not go back to stick welding.
Since I learned stick welding 35 years ago, the single biggest advance is auto darkening helmets. Can't beat being able to see where you are before striking the arc.

Bob

Back