Which adhesive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCN2598.JPG

I'm making another miniature similar to this, but rosewood instead of blackwood. I used epoxy that is a bit stale, and I don't know whether it was that that caused the silver to come off or that it got quite warm when I was turning it. I din't de grease it, which I probably should have, but is it worth a try with a good CA or should I stick to epoxy just using a new one?

Attachments

• DSCN2598.JPG
    DSCN2598.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 152
Looks very pretty.

Only Epoxy I have used (West System) is not good with heat but cant remember it's limits but was advised not to use on some worktop next to a hob. Rosewood would want a good degreasing for sure. Learnt that the hard way!

Epoxy (most types) goes soft with heat, and so does CA. PVA too, and TItebond.

Hot hide glue sticks to glass, but I don't know how well it sticks to metal. It's pretty resistant to dry heat (add some moisture and the joint is reversible).

I think I'd try some kind of automotive adhesive like JB Weld, checking what temperatures it's supposed to survive.

I believe Cascamite is pretty heat-proof, but I've no idea if it will bond to metal.

Epoxies can definitely go off but the heat won't have helped even with fresh stuff. Epoxies tend to soften from around 60°C, about the temp of hot bath water, so it doesn't take much heat for them to begin to loosen their grip.

Back