Two Zebrano bowls for Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weasel Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok well I have been turning for a year or so but only get the chance to do a few hours a week if im lucky so some bowls stay half finnished for weeks. The perils of not having a lathe of my own and having to fit in turning between uni work and dissertation writing. But anyway...

Here are two zebrano bowls. What do you think?

*edit* Both are undercut so the walls are 0.35-0.5 inch (about 3/8ths) thick.

6 x 2inch
IMG_6478.gif

IMG_6481.gif

IMG_6483.gif

5 x 2
IMG_6489.gif

IMG_6484.gif

[/img]

nice - if a little chunky - you are clearly getting a good finish from the tools but you need to work on getting the walls a bit thinner (tho dont worry we all do that when starting out)

re your search for a beginer lathe , have you looked at ebay ?

They look good and I am pleased to see you work on the base as well. Adds a nice little touch. The finish looks excellent hope you get your lathe soon so you can do more. As said keep your eyes open on E bay as there are often beginner type lathes on their. If you spot one ask if you are unsure as I suspect there will always be someone on here who has had one and tell if it's good or bad

pete

kasandrich":1fvpu38y said:
Two lovely bowls there Weasel.

What finish did you use on them?

Its just a coat of Briwax applied, dried, and then buffed on the lathe. Its a lovely shine but can dull with time. Its is easily re-buffed though.
Something i need to do is start experimenting with diferent finnishes. I've only tried wax and a few types of oil like tung, finishing, and danish.

Any tips?

Nice work Weasel. I particularly like what you’ve done with the rim on the first bowl, gives it a very original touch.

very nice - especially the grain on the second one
minor gripes
- the finish could be blended better(somewhere in the middle there is a faint transition line, maybe just the pic)
The top of the bowl is a bit flat - with highly grained timbers the transition from a curved area to a flat is often more readily seen , maybe it was intended that way . I prefer a gentle curve also in the middle of the body of the bowl where it has straightened a bit.
All in all a fine bit of turning

The finish on these two looks spot on and zebrano isnt the easiest timber to work with either-well done
I think its great that your taking the time to disguise your holding method but i feel the form and design needs a little work to achive a nice flow

Nice bowls Weasel 8) and as has already been said you're getting a nice finish on them. Good luck with your hunt for a lathe :)
Have you had a go at that platter yet?

JT

Back