Two for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATWOOD

Established Member
Reaction score
I have turned these ash bowl's after watching Nick Arnull DVD

no-: one
100_3102.jpg

100_3103.jpg

100_3103.jpg

100_3118.jpg

100_3121.jpg

no-: two

100_3109.jpg

100_3110.jpg

100_3113.jpg

100_3113.jpg

100_3123.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed

How do you Tie dye wood? Seriously I like the colouring a lot. Not the sort of thing you see much of but it works for me,

Pete

I too like the colouring, achieved the ragged look but with a clean un-smudged muddied result, not so sure about what appears to be a stoppered hole in No. One, which looks more like Beech than Ash, bowl/rim proportions work for me.

No.two, I like the idea but seems a little heavy to me, don't know if it's the dense colouring on the rim, I think the upper rim undercut could stand a cleanup to remove stain bleed and tool? marks. Guess that may be difficult now your mountings removed.

Very nicely done Chris :D
The first i would say was Beech also.
Nicely sized rim on this one and looks well in proportion to the bowl,but i would like to have seen a bigger outer rim on No2,or smaller inner rim.
Just doesn't look in proportion to me.
Like the staining on two better :D

Thank you for your comments :oops: no one is Beech it was going to be a clock so I put a 2p in the bottom of the bowl

Very good staining technique on No1 Chris. How did you achieve such a "clean" look. Not sure about the proportions on No2, purely personal , but again the staining technique is good.

Mike C

I like both bowls, very nice work, I am not a big fan of colouring, the black rim I could live with but I do not like the multi-coloured parts. I can appreciate the craftmanship of doing it, it is a very laborious task and very difficult to get it looking even yet random, so well done in what you were trying to achieve, and I can see many people loving it, but not for me.

The only criticism I could make of the work is that the line could have been cleaned up on the multicoloured finish on bowl 2.

Thank you all
these are practice pieces I have had the colours for about 3 years I do staining at my day job so after seeing Nick's DVD I thought I would give it a go on my turning's

Back