Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Beardo16
Hi guys

Anyone know where to find hand made brass chisel hammers?

The only ones i can find are either from David Barron or quangsheng.

Thanks for any help guys
By Glynne
At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, how useful / effective do people find chisel hammers such as the ones quoted?

I'm not a pure utilitarian (as I have a set of LN chisels and some other "luxury" type tools), but I had thought of getting a chisel hammer and then I talked myself out of it.
The current plan is to fashion a chisel hammer using the head of an old small metal working hammer but with a considerably shortened shaft but am I missing something here?

Glynne
By AndyT
Glynne, I'm glad you asked, as I was thinking the same thing. I do have wooden mallets in various sizes and have never seen the need for a little brass hammer like this. Is it for carving?
By Beardo16
Thanks for the reply guys.

I did have a look at what Veritas have to offer but i prefer something more like this

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Qua ... _500g.html

looking for something more Hammer like than Mallet like.

Not sure if many companies make them but i have seen plenty of people make them and some look absolutly amazing, unfortunately i dont have any metal working equipment.
By Glynne
I was thinking of one of Matthews from Workshop Heaven (as per the link above) for use with fine dovetails rather than carving - and there is a carriage free offer at the moment (until 22nd).
I did watch David Barron use one at the European Show but as he sells them, I suspect he would say they were necessary rather than a nice to have.
You can obviously get away with normal mallets, carving mallets etc. but I just wondered whether people thought they were worthwhile?

Glynne
By Beardo16
Glynne

I personally prefer a small brass hammer to a wooden mallet. I've recently moved and during the moving process have miss placed my hammer. So now im on the look out as the guy who made mine can no longer make tools.
By Pete Maddex
I seen to many split chisels to even think about using a hammer, unless they are hooped ones.
I use one of these

Pete
By Graham Orm
Glynne wrote:At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, how useful / effective do people find chisel hammers such as the ones quoted?

I'm not a pure utilitarian (as I have a set of LN chisels and some other "luxury" type tools), but I had thought of getting a chisel hammer and then I talked myself out of it.
The current plan is to fashion a chisel hammer using the head of an old small metal working hammer but with a considerably shortened shaft but am I missing something here?

Glynne

I use exactly that. A heavy ball pane hammer head with a 4" handle. Perfect. Needs only a tiny tap with all that mass giving lots of control.
Last edited by Graham Orm on 20 Nov 2013, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
By blackrodd
Grayorm wrote:Here ya go. Cost pennies works perfectly.

A.jpg

MMM, Gets my vote, as the actress said to the Bishop.
Regards Rodders
By Graham Orm
Rod, did you know that there's a village near Bolton called Blackrod?
By David C
Why Brass?

I use a very reasonable, 375g, barrel shaped Japanese hammer from Dictum.

David Charlesworth
By ColeyS1
I love it when posts are deleted so the rest of the thread doesn't make sense :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk